Twenty Two

"So, this game plan of yours..."

"Sh..." Declan clothes-lined her to the wall letting some guards pass.

Rene shoved him off annoyed. She rubbed her chest for the pain and tension. Things were getting very serious, very fast. A roar rumbled in her core seeming to agree and encourage her to keep going. Rene side glanced at Declan as he kept watch preparing for their next move. He appeared trustworthy enough; then again Rene's definition of trustworthy was getting rather lenient these days. As long as he wasn't trying to kill her at that moment or outright saying he wanted to kill her, she figured he was trustworthy enough that they could both use each other without either losing. That and the fact that Lora vouched for him was promising, so he said anyway. Rene sighed resting her head against the wall waiting. She was exhausted to say the least. Everything was zapping her energy leaving basically a sleepwalker. She was barely conscious enough for coherent thought. Not that it, in a sense, mattered. She didn't have time for a nap. Rene shifted pulling the cap lower over her eyes. No, she would keep going and when it was finally all over then she could collapse for days. She was an avid insomniac. Being tired hadn't stopped her yet and she wouldn't let it now. Besides, she heard lack of sleep made a person more reckless. She could use a little reckless right now.

"Come on." Declan whispered walking forward into a relaxed stroll.

Rene joined him forming a duo patrol no different from the next. It was rather creepy honestly. She was on the other side now, deep in enemy territory. 'Fake it till you make it', may be a mantra of hers but she was never necessarily good at it when it counted. There was a difference between lying and taking on a different persona. Her eyes darted nervously back and forth. Each step was a tap to a dance she didn't know all the parts for. Her heart pounded with fear that someone might notice her out of rhythm from a beat she didn't hear, yet they all synced to. She needed to chill. A shot of ice drilled her left shoulder at the thought. Never mind, no chilling. She'd settle for being just room temperature.

"Act normal." Declan hissed out the side of his mouth.

Rene growled, again pulling at the brim of the hat. "I don't even know what that means."

Down the hall they continued into the maze of cement and reek of despair. No one stopped them. Most of the fellow guards merely gave a bob of a head nod as they were basically urged forward with permission, blessings even. The deeper they wove, the louder the screams became and the stronger the waifs of blood. Rene swallowed her own rising bile when a particularly heavy wave hit. The pure terror sounded like they were shredding the lungs and throat in their clawing to get out and to give voice to the pain. Unlike upstairs, there was no surging to rooms to send the electrical shocks. There was the definite familiar smell indicating that it was occurring, but this lovely slice of the asylum was obviously in better upkeep than the main portion. How wonderful. Keep up the torture area. Got to have one's priorities straight, right?

Another scream ricocheted out followed by gut-wrenching sobs. They were getting closer. Shivers ran up her spine in anticipation of what they'd find. Their journey through had slowly become less and less guarded. They obviously had little fear of anyone coming this deep and of the treated patients' ability to retaliate. The thought frightened her to her core. What state would she be discovering Cassie and Danny in? Would they even be able to escape once her and Declan found them? She glanced at Declan. He was solemn as ever, looking straight forward with determination and confidence. He really did appear to be in control and command as he strode through the halls. No one would second guess his convection to the asylum and its goals by just looking at him. It made her uneasy, for all she knew he could be like a triple agent or something. He could be playing the odds as well waiting to see who came out on top. Shut up. She couldn't be thinking like that about the person who was leading her into the depths of hell. Being on guard was one thing but, paranoia towards someone who had helped her multiple times now was ridiculous. She hoped...it didn't matter. In the end, with or without his help she was getting Cassie and Danny out of here then she'd burn this place to the ground. A shriek, this one different...familiar. Rene froze tensing up.