IX

Nathan's POV

I batted my eyes open and waited for them to adjust to the bright light emanating the room. Once my eyes finally adjusted, I was a bit startled by the sight of Julia towering over me. "Rise and shine beautiful!" she exclaimed.

"What the hell are you doing in my room?"

"F-Y-I, this my room. You lost access to your room after losing your key card at that vamp club. Since Alice was asleep, I brought you to my room and we ended up sleeping together." She smiled, making my heart instantly fall to the pit of my stomach.

I don't understand how I could've possibly let that happen.

"Not in the way I wanted to, though." She winked at me.

I sighed in relief."Thank you for the heart attack. I appreciate it.

Now, I'm gonna go and leave you to resolve your issues."

She giggled. "Don't we all have issues?"

"Yeah, but they don't compare to yours."

"Like psycho serial killers aren't worse than me."

"There was a long time when they weren't."

She pondered for a moment. "That is frightfully true. At least I'm good now."

I laughed. "You've got a lot more work to do on yourself before you can go around saying that." I sat up on the bed. "I should go now before Phoebe finds out that I spent the night here and starts getting funny ideas. Then she'll tell everyone, and Alice will only hate me more."

"Why does she hate you? I thought you guys were supposed to be madly in love by now?"

"I'd answer, but I don't feel comfortable talking about my love life with you."

"Why not?"

"Because you're my ex and I dated you for over a century."

"Just tell me already."

I gave a sigh in annoyance. "I kissed her and then told her I didn't mean to, because I'm still in love with Heather."

"And your breath still wreaks of liquor."

"Julia, can you be serious for one moment?"

"Okay, fine. Why would you tell her that? It's not even possible."

"Well somehow it is, because I miss Heather like crazy."

"How?"

"I have no idea."

"Well, there's only one thing we can do."

"What?"

"Find out!"

Alice's POV

Last night Jay and Max kind of cheered me up while we went along with Max's plan for a movie night, but ever since I've woken up I just feel so numb and deprived of something. I have this longing feeling that's consuming me and I don't know what to do with myself.

I'm being so eaten up inside, that honestly, at this point I just want to fall off the face of the earth.

Nathan hasn't returned, and I'm thankful for that. I just wish I knew if he was okay or not. I know he went out to go make peace withe vampires last night, but he hasn't come back and it's got me scared.

This is exactly what I need after an incredibly amplified heartbreak, and I mean that with every bit of sarcasm in me.

Nathan's POV

Julia and I remained sat on her bed as we tried to figure why I was still so madly in love with Heather.

"Are we seriously just gonna sit here and conjure up ideas? I'd really like to take care of my personal hygiene right now," I said.

"Right after we figure out why you're still in love with Heather. Did you feel anything other than lust while kissing Alice?"

"No, but after I felt like I was cheating, which is only your forte."

"Funny."

"What did you ever see in Barron, Julia?"

"Can we focus on finding out why you're still so fixated on Heather?"

"No. I deserve answers. It's the least you could do for me after using me for so long."

"I'm helping you get the actual Heather back, aren't I?"

"Would you just answer the bloody question already!"

"If you keep your voice down, I will."

"Lowered. Now, answer."

"He was charming, and not in the sweet, gentlemanly... Basically, not like you. He was a bad boy, being that he was a vampire. He made everything so exciting. He took my boring life and made into something fun, something worth living.

So, then we fell in love."

"Where does the sick use of men come in?"

"You didn't ask for all that."

"Now I'm asking."

She hesitated to answer. "His brother was establishing vampire councils in Britain along with other vampires after hearing about other countries' councils.."

"He has a brother?"

"His name was William. He's dead now. Anyway, Barron was helping him enforce the council rules and making sure every vampire in Britain were aware of what was going on. It meant that Barron would be traveling a lot, so he told me what he was and requested for me to turn and join him.

I hated the idea, and I hated knowing what he was. But, I was just so in love with him, that I figured, why not? It couldn't have been the worst thing, and it wasn't until William formed the Southern Council and appointed Barron to be the head of it.

Barron couldn't say no. It assured him protection and power for life. He knew that he'd have to give up our relationship, so he developed a plan assuring us a safe relationship for eternity. Unfortunately, it required me to pretend to be dating other men to keep our relationship in secrecy."

"How many men did you use?"

"I didn't keep track, but you lasted way longer than they ever did, partly, or mostly because I fell head over heels for you."

"If you loved me so much-"

'"I still do-"

"Why didn't you leave him and stay faithful to me?"

"I loved him like crazy. Leaving who I planned to spend the rest of my vampiric life with was the last thing on my mind. But, overtime my love for you overpowered the love I had for him. Everything about us was a hundred times better."

"Only because I was your puppet."

"Please, let me finish.

I finally decided to break it off with him, but soon realized that it would be the biggest mistake I could ever make. Over the years he got so cold and disgusting that being with him would be the only way I could stay with you. If I broke up with him because of you, he'd have you killed, and I just wouldn't have that."

"Touching."

"I'm serious. You know my love for you was real."

"If you really loved me you would've told me or at least break up with me so I wouldn't continue just being the guy on the side."

"I was scared that if I told you, you'd hate me forever. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you. And, if anyone was the side guy, it was definitely Barron.

I'm sorry Nath, and I'll always be."

"That sounded sincere enough. But, you still used me as a puppet throughout the entire relationship. You had me think it was okay to go around killing people."

"We followed council rules at some point," she laughed.

"That doesn't make all that we did alright."

"It's our nature."

"It doesn't have to be."

"It'll always be. You just have to learn how to control it, which you have."

"Worst part about it is if you lose control over it, you have to lie to everyone about it."

"I meant to speak to you about that. Back in Pickhill, when you were trying to convince everyone you were a good vamp, you looked to me to confirm it for everyone. Mind telling me what that was about? You never look for someone to show others you're true to your word."

"I did somethings I regret after you walked out on me."

"What things?"

"I was upset and kind of went into blood lust and killed a few girls. I picked them up form some pub (bar) and took them passed the southern border. Being that they are girls, they were easier targets for me, and I felt no desire to compell them.

I wanted for them to scream when I sank my teeth into their necks. I wanted to see the horror in their eyes. I want them to put up a fight but lose to my power. Most of all, I just wanted to put and end to their lives."

"Nathan, I thought you were stronger than that."

"You left me! I didn't know how to cope. It was the only thing that took my mind off things."

"I understand that it was a moment of weakness, I just never thought such a thing would overcome you."

"Neither did I." I lowered my head in shame as I combed my fingers through my tussled hair.

"Don't beat yourself up about it, Nath. It was a mistake."

"It wasn't a mistake, it was my intention."

"You can't let the guilt take over. There's no time for that. We can't afford you loosing yourself. Neither can Heather."

I let my arms fall and raised my head. "You're right. Let's just get back to figuring out why I'm still in love with Heather."

"Isn't it easy to see?" Phoebe asked coming into the room.

"Were you listening to us this whole time?" asked Julia.

"Not all this time, but most of it."

"What aren't we seeing?" I asked Phoebe.

"You're still in love with Heather because Heather is still alive in Alice's body. Your soul realizes that. That's why you felt as if you were betraying her. You're in love with Alice, but you can't bring yourself to start a new relationship her."

"Will I ever, if Heather remains stuck in Alice's body forever?"

"Possibly not."

"So, I can spend the rest my life obsessing over Heather and unable to hook up with anyone else."

"I don't know. My knowledge of the soul mate bond only goes so far. I never even knew you'd still be in love with Heather, it was just something I was able to figure out."

•••

I know I could've made this longer, but I just didn't want to keep you guys waiting too long for and update.