Chapter 24

"Do it again, Holden."

Holden shoots a glare at me before punching the bag again, releasing a satisfied grunt as the heavy mass sways a wide radius. I took over training for today; Holden and I both needed a break from Josh's domineering coaching style.

Which, has not been brought up since that night almost two weeks ago.

"Since when did you become a hard ass trainer, Smalls?"

I smile at his words, motioning for him to punch the large bag once again. Regardless of his break from Josh, Holden doesn't get a break from training hard. Not when the fight is only three days from now and he's not allowed to train the night before the fight.

"Since your manager booked you a fight with my brother."

Holden pushes away from the bag, walking over to where he set his water bottle. I watch his Adam's apple bob up and down as he takes several gulps of the ice water, sweat drenching his face and hair.

I've already worked him hard enough that he had to strip off his soaked shirt. I can't say I'm exactly complaining about that, however.

"It's three days from now, T. If I'm not good enough by now, I won't be."

I roll my eyes, shoving him with my arm. "You being good enough isn't the problem, H. I just need you to keep it up because I know Elliot Samson is training like crazy."

"Will you just call him Elijah? Both of us already know his name isn't Elliot."

It's obvious in Holden's expression that he's exhausted; not that I can blame him — we've been at this for two hours straight. I grab a towel, pushing back his long hair so I can wipe the sweat off of his face. He gladly allows me to refresh him, a small smirk crossing his face.

"If I think of him as Elliot, it makes it easier to train you. Calling him Elijah just reassures that I'm helping work with you to knock the shit out of my older brother."

Holden sits down on a bench nearby, pulling me with him. I try to sit next to him, but Holden keeps his grip around my waist, dragging me to sit on his lap. I turn my body to the side, allowing myself the pleasure of looking at him while he regains his breath.

"You want to knock the shit out of your own brother, so why does it matter?"

I lean my body into Holden, "Exactly. He's my brother. That's normal."

Holden presses a soft kiss onto my clothed shoulder, mumbling. "Your relationship with your brother is not normal, baby."

"I know." I ignore the butterflies fluttering in my stomach at his nickname and focus on the content of his sentence instead. "But it's true that most sisters want to kill their brothers. They just don't mean it literally, I suppose."

I feel Holden's body shakes as he laughs at me, "Izzy doesn't want to kill me."

I roll my eyes at him, tugging on his chin to make his eyes meet mine. "I promise you she does. She just doesn't say it."

Holden pushes me off of him lightly, pouting like a small child. I snap at him, pointing back to the large punching bag now hanging stagnant. He shouldn't have to train anymore right now, but I'm legitimately worried about the impending fight.

It freaks me out to not know the outcome. If Holden were fighting anybody else, I would have complete confidence.

But Eli's relentless.

Holden crosses his arms at me, rolling his own emerald eyes. "I'm done for today, baby."

I walk over to Holden, tugging on his hand, but he won't budge. After a few minutes of tugging, I give up. I wasn't even able to move him an inch. That's completely pathetic for someone who has been in intensive training for months.