Chapter 23

Holden's fist makes contact with the wall behind me; I want to look and see if there's any damage to the surface, but Holden's expression keeps my eyes solely trained on him. I'm almost positive his fist is bleeding, but I make no attempt to inspect it. Trying to grab him before he's calm would be a stupid move on my part.

Both of us are breathing much heavier than before, and I keep my gaze trained on his emerald eyes.

"Why would Elliot Samson expect you to be there?"

He's trying to calm himself down, but it's not working. I take a deep breath, steadying myself before the vile words leave my mouth. "He's my brother."

Holden's mouth opens and closes repeatedly, attempting to find some words to say. When it's apparent he's speechless, I take over, relaying the events of my exhausting day. Holden tenses when I tell him about my conversation with Luke and I reach out, placing my hand on his chest. It doesn't calm him, but it comforts him.

"Elliot Samson is Elijah Stevens." I'm at the end of my day, my head spinning from talking about it.

"I have to fight your brother in two weeks."

I nod, using his shocked state to my advantage as I walk us both back to the bed. He doesn't pull away when I lead him to the soft mattress, his face crumpled up in confusion. After a few minutes of letting him think in silence, I sit next to him, talking quietly.

"Eli won't fight fair, Holden. All he wants is to win — to take your title as champion."

My head falls to rest on Holden's shoulder as I lace my fingers with his. He appears to be calming down, lost in his thoughts.

"Tatum, I'm going to kill him."

I can't bring myself to turn and look at him. If I do, I'll let it slip that I wish he would. I want my brother dead after everything he's done to me, but that responsibility doesn't lie on Holden. I can't let him get involved in it. If he does, Josh will cover it up again. He'll be Josh's puppet for the rest of his life.

"You're not. Just fight him and forget about him as soon as the match is over."

Holden shifts from underneath me, tilting my head up by my chin. His green eyes scan over my expression, but I know he only sees the exhaustion present in my eyes.

"I'm going to kill him, Tatum. He murdered your mom right in front of you and left you with an abusive dad then handed you over to Luke. I'm not just going to let the guy who did that to you walk away."

I move my hand up, cradling his face. His long curls touch the tips of my fingers and I take in his beauty before responding. Even with so much anger, he remains the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

"Eli was in jail for nine years, Holden. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in there again soon. Please, just finish the fight and forget about him. For me, if you really need a reason." My voice is soft and if it weren't for my words, my tone would be comforting. I'm asking so much from him; I know how hard it will be for him to restrain.

"Feel free to kick his ass though, Samuels."

A small smile crosses his face before he finally nods. I lean forward, pressing our foreheads together. A need surges within me and I can't help but press a lingering kiss to his lips, trying to physically display the amount of love I have for him.

Two weeks, then this will all be over. Things won't be so complicated and interconnected after these next two weeks.

"I can't believe my brother is going to have a kid."