Chapter 6

I use my thumb to push the tape down, ensuring it makes the gauze stay tight. "No pushing over tables or punching walls, you got that?"

Holden's green eyes meet mine as I finish bandaging him all up, his curls bouncing as he nods at me, "Got it, Smalls."

After putting all of my materials back into the kit, I make my way to the closet. I pass over the broom and pull out a large set of blankets. I'm not sure he'll really need this many, but I want him to be comfortable.

Holden watches me as I move around my apartment, fixing him a makeshift bed on my cushioned couch. I lay all the blankets out before scurrying to my room to grab one of my pillows off of the bed, setting it on top of the blankets.

"Are you already tucking me in?"

Once glance back at him and he's got a wide smile plastered on his face. It seems the more I'm around him, the more I'm rewarded with his lovely smile instead of his cocky smirk. I roll my eyes at him. Though he's teasing, I can tell he's pleased about me taking care of him.

"I'm gonna go change real quick, Holden."

"I can help if you want me to."

I laugh without answering back, shutting my bedroom door behind me. It feels glorious to strip off the long skirt and the heavy blazer. The air against my heated skin feels absolutely wonderful. Stripping off the last of my sweat-infected clothing, I scrounge in my drawers for something comfortable to wear.

My usual attire of a t-shirt and panties isn't exactly appropriate while Holden is here.

I glance down at the cuts littering my body. He already knows they're there — he's seen some of them. Showing them is okay. I grab a loose t-shirt and a pair of pajama shorts long enough to cover my butt, pulling them on my body with quick movements. Though I know the cuts are there, they don't sting anymore.

The mirror across from me shows my reflection back to me, and I've noticed a slight change. The bags under my eyes are present as always, but there's a flash of light in my eyes themselves. For once, they're not completely deadened.

Rushing into the bathroom, I splash water on my face. I remove all of my makeup, including the makeup plastered onto my neck. Holden hasn't seen the bruise, but I know he heard me and Luke talking about it during dinner.

My index finger lightly traces the bruise, and it looks a little better than it did this morning. This morning it was all dark and harsh, but some parts of it are lightening up already. They're healing. Without added pressure, I don't feel any pain. However, the pain is there whenever I press my finger a little harder against the sensitive flesh.

I shake off the vision of Luke with his hands wrapped around my neck, trying to replace it with something happier. The truth is, I haven't been happy with Luke touching me in any way for a really long time now.

"Are you putting on a fashion show? Changing doesn't take this long."

Holden's voice pulls me back and I immediately exit the bathroom and my bedroom, meeting Holden back in my small living room. I'm surprised to find that he changed into a pair of sweats while I was in my room, but the way they hang from his hips is just calling for attention.

I pull my eyes away, hoping Holden didn't catch me staring. I can hear his feet padding against the floor, the low thud registering in my ears. My eyes are glued to the floor and I watch as he walks until he's only a foot away from me.

One of his hands lightly finds its way into my hair, gently tugging on a small chunk of it. I look up to meet his eyes and I can tell he's inspecting my neck as best as he can. The only light on in my apartment is the one from the kitchen, and it's hard to see a bruise in such a dim lit area.