13

Carli was upset.

Everyone could easily see it. She didn't return her teammates their looks, didn't smile anymore, and her play was weak those past two days. Everyone guessed it had something to do with Hope, even though the keeper was less obvious. But nobody dared to talk to them, because Hope would push them away very harshly, and Carli wouldn't say a word. The only one she could talk to was her boyfriend, Brian, but he wasn't there.

Jill noticed the two players attitudes and decided that the time has come to put it in an end. She called them both on her office later that day. Carli arrived first, as usual a little bit early. When Hope came in, she immediately crossed her arms on her chest, sitting on the vacant chair without giving the brunette any look. The head coach sighed. She knew those two were the rocks of the team : the star goal keeper and the captain and national hero. She needed them to be at their best, and their friendship was important.

She felt like a school teacher scolding two young students.

- Listen girls, you need to figure your problems out, Jill began.

- Oh, from Hope's point of view there is no problem, Carli cut her off, looking straight at the GK.

Hope didn't respond, focused on hiding her feelings. Jill turned to face the tall girl, who was determined to remain silent. She then realized that she had to let them alone so they could talk for real. Jill went out of the room, locking the two girls inside. Hope rolled her eyes. "It's high school again". Carli didn't move.

Hope felt the urge to say :

- I'm sorry for what I said the other day, she murmured with shame. You are important to me, you're not a random person like I tactlessly suggested with my though words. You didn't deserve them, but I was angry and you wouldn't leave me alone. So...

She stopped. Carli was still staring at her, a cold look on her eyes. She remained still, and waited for the keeper to go on. Hope understood that this time, there was no way out of this talk. She stood on her feet, grabbing her hair with her shaking hands. She began to walk back and forth several times. Oh could she tell her what she felt ? Brian was a very good guy for Carli. She couldn't ruin their friendship for some stupid feeling. She had to come up with something. "Be clever, Hope. You need to find a decent excuse, otherwise she'll go after you."

She remained silent, finally looking at Carli. "A good excuse, Hope. You gotta find a good excuse so you don't ruin everything..." she though again, losing herself in Carli's brown eyes. The brunette seemed running out of patience.

Suddenly, Hope's mouth opened without her wanting it to.

- I am in love with you.

Those words came as a hurricane to Carli. She didn't know whether she should laugh out loud because her friend was making an awkward joke or start yelling at her for those meaningless words. But something in Carli prevented her from replying anything. Hope sat down, intensively staring at the floor. She felt so uncomfortable. "Why did you just say that ? You're just a crazy bitch. Now she'll hate me forever."

Instead, Carli just said :

- Oh.

Another awkward silence was established between them. Hope's face was burning, but luckily for her she wasn't blushing. She just sorta came out to the love of her life, even though she knew exactly what the brunette was going to respond.

- I'm honored that you gave me that place in your heart, I truly am, Carli began carefully. But I'm getting married in a few months, Brian loves me and...

Hope remained silent as her heart was broken into pieces.

- And I love him back, she finished in a sad voice tone.

The goalkeeper just wanted to get out of here. She didn't cry often, like, not at all. But this time she felt the tears making their way to her eyes. Luckily enough, Jill unlocked the door. Hope stood on her feet, and once she had one hand on the doorknob, she opened it.

Carli blocked her the way with her arm, facing her again.

- Take all the time you need, just know that it doesn't change a thing for me. You're my best friend, my person, Hopey. I am and always will be there for you.

The dark-haired girl gave her a painful look.

- It changes everything for me. I'm sorry.

She passed the door. Carli sat on the floor, beyond confused. It was like if her body was making its revolution. She sure did love Brian back, but she wasn't sure about her not loving Hope back. She was lost.

She just lost her person.

***

Kelley woke up earlier than usual this morning.

She opened her eyes and got used to the light coming from the sun. She was sleeping near the wall, and Allie on the other side of the tiny bed. Speaking of which, the blonde was still in a deep sleep. She was sleeping against Kelley's chest, peacefully. The brunette, who didn't want to wake her up, was running her fingers in the midfielder's soft hair, finding the way she slept with her mouth slightly opened very attractive. Her lips seemed so soft as well.

The blonde moved a little bit, holding Kelley tighter. The Georgia girl was trapped, she couldn't (and didn't want to) escape Allie's embrace. Instead, Kelley planted a gentle kiss on her forehead, slowly realizing this strange feeling that was taking her heart by surprise. When Allie finally woke up, it took her several seconds to understand the situation. Once she saw their position, she abruptly pulled away from Kelley's arms. She dressed and was ready to leave.

Kelley was smiling like an idiot.

- No need to run away, I won't do any comment, she said in a playful voice.

- I'm heading to practice, I'll meet you later, Allie quickly said, awkwardly waving at her friend before going out of the room.

Kelley remained still several minutes, this stupid smile still on her face. "I'm starting to fall for her" she said to herself in despair. "Alex and Tobin are going to kill me."