23

Whitney was laughing her ass off. 

Ashlyn was on the ground. The pair was playing basketball, and the ball just landed on the goalkeeper's finger. She was faking a terrible pain, and Whitney knew exactly who she was imitating, since the two friends used to play basketball before, and Ashlyn always said that Whitney was no soccer player, but more like a cheerleader. It was true that Whitney was a little bit dramatic every time something happened to her. Ashlyn couldn't stop laughing as well, and her best friend's laugh became contagious. Around them, Ali and Carli were smiling. 

Today, the team was split in two. Half of the girls headed off to a walk in some mountain, whereas the other half was recovering in the hotel. The girls that remained here were Carli, Ali, Ash, Whit, Kelley and Sammy. Since all the tensions were fading away, they were very happy to have some time together, especially Carli. She hasn't talked to Hope recently, and didn't have the balls to tell her that Jerramy told her the truth. She was too confused to admit her feelings. With those girls, Carli was feeling at home. 

Ashlyn finally got up and high five Whitney, who was crying from laughing so hard. They then resumed their game. As usual, Carli was the best, always throwing the ball right on the basketball hoop. Ali, who was on her team, wasn't complaining about it. 

- Gosh, why are you so good everywhere ? Kelley asked, wrongly irritated. 

- Don't worry, you're still a better dancer than I am, Carli conceded, all smiles.

- Kelley's a terrible dancer, Sammy yelled.

- Still better than Car, trust me, Whitney said. 

They all laughed before continuing to play. Sammy and Kelley were messing around, loosing the ball to each other often. It seemed just like they were having the game of their lives. Ali, who was trying to catch the ball when it was in the air, jumped to high and collapsed with someone. Once on the ground, she sat up really fast, seeing Ashlyn under her. Blushing sightly, she got up and stretched out her hand to the blonde goalkeeper, who took it. 

JJ and HAO, who just got up, joined them. The teams were now settled : Carli-JJ-Ali-Sammy versus Ash-Whit-Kelley-HAO. They played for two hours or so, before going to the eating room. It was strange to see it empty, as well as living a day without any tensions. They all were happy to spend time with each other, since the "trouble makers" were out on the trip - by "trouble makers" were identified as Christen and Hope, who were mad at JJ and Carli. 

All eight of them sat on the same table. HAO was feeling a little bit nostalgic. 

- Don't you ever miss the old team ? she asked. I mean, I love this one, but I miss Abby, Cheney and Syd like hell.   

- Yeah, JJ said slowly. And Arod. 

- Hopefully Syd will come back after her pregnancy, Ali added. 

They all nodded in agreement. Wold Cup 2015 was an amazing time. Since the day of their victory, they all were considered as the best team ever. It was a lot of pressure to handle, especially for Carli, who felt obliged to score at every game now. But is was way worse for the newbies, who entered a excellent team, like Sammy for example. 

Carli smiled a little bit.

- I'll never forget that PK against Germany in the Semi-Finals, she said, looking at JJ with a friendly look.  

- Oh God, Julie let out, sighing. You mean the moment when I felt like I let my team town ? 

- Dude, this was the most difficult ball ever to be handled by a defender, Whitney comforted her. Didn't Becky tell you that ? 

- Yeah she did, Julie smiled. 

- But the best moment was that midfield goal in the final game, Ali said. 

They continued to debate for fifteen minutes, before heading to the gym to take an ice bath together. As usual, Carli was the first one to get in, happy to see her teammates suffer from the cold. Ashlyn was the most sensitive to cold. By the time she put her whole body on the ice bath, Carli was already out of it, making fun of the goalkeeper. 

***

Meanwhile, Allie was wondering why she accepted to follow Alex and Tobin on that mountain. She thought this was going to be a restful day. Tobin obviously lied to her so that she would come. She was happy she came, though. She needed time away from Kelley. As they were walking to the top, Allie told her friend that Kelley didn't remember anything from their kiss. Both of her friends listened carefully to what the blonde was saying. 

Once her speech was over, Tobin took the lead :

- That's weird, she said in a thoughtful way. 

- What ? Allie and Alex said together. 

- We talked about her party the other day, and she told me the best moment of the party was when we took an ice bath together, and it was just after you guys... well... ya know. 

- Screw Kelley, she lied to you ? Alex said, her eyes getting wide open.

Allie remained silent. She had conflicted thoughts right now. Tobin noticed that and gave Alex a cold glare. The forward immediately understood her fault, and let Tobin talk on behalf of them two. 

- Al, sorry for asking, but you thing that, uhm, you might have, I dunno... Feelings for Kelley ? Tobin said carefully. 

She knew that Allie wouldn't react to this questions very well, because she wasn't the type to do relationships, especially with one of her teammates. Before several days earlier, it was totally out of question. But now, there was a "maybe" that Allie hated. The blonde looked at her friends, and then down on the ground. 

- I've no idea you guys, and it terrifies me, Allie finally admitted. 

- Obviously, if she lied to you, it's that something was bothering her..., Alex said. 

- Yeah, maybe kissing a girl when she was drunk, Allie sharply replied. 

- Or... she liked kissing you and wouldn't admit it, Tobin added. 

- I doubt that. 

Their discussion was cut short by Pinoe, who just jumped on Allie's back. The midfielder was kinda relieved, even though she didn't know how to put Kelley out of her mind.