Chapter 38

Claire was nearly to the flat when she realized she was being followed. A quick glance behind was enough. The Merith who’d been above her on the spinner was now about ten feet behind her.

She broke into a sprint, and was frankly shocked when the alien didn’t catch up to her in a few strides. The Merith was taller and surely faster than she was, but Claire refused to look back as she ran through the low arch. Her flat was at the end of this small courtyard.

She could hear heavy footsteps behind her, but somehow she was still free when she made it to the door. She flung it open and slammed it behind her.

“There’s a Merith behind me,” she began to say... but there was no point in finishing. There were Merith already here. Faal was here.

Juliet and Sage sat very erect on two stools, each with a serviceable pellet gun pointed at their heads by Faal’s equally serviceable thugs. Athlete was sitting on the floor against the wall, also with a gun pointed at him. Dried blood discolored his face and shirt.

Faal stood calmly in the center of the room, leaning slightly on an ornate cane.

“Back from your errand so soon, Claire? Excellent.” He waited while the remaining two Merith came through the door behind her. “Yes, very well, let’s lock that for now.”

Claire felt panic singing in her blood, but refused to give into it yet. She stared at Faal until she could see even the tiny vestigial feathers that lined his beak.

“This is it then? You followed us from Lower Selta?”

Faal waved his clawed hand. “Of course I had you followed from Lower Selta. The question you should be asking is why I neglected to acquire you then. Or why I have yet to kill these three for the violence they offered me a few days ago.”

Claire waited, and Faal prompted her. “Come, Claire. Ask me why I’ve restrained myself.”

She answered obediently, “Why have you restrained yourself?” She used to refuse these prompts out of principle, but she’d learned long ago that that was a waste of effort. She could only withstand him so long, it was better to choose her moments.

“I have restrained myself because your friends impressed me. Yes, I do not say that lightly, but they overcame me and that deserves respect. True, I had not anticipated resistance of any kind and was thus ill-prepared, but losing a game on preparedness is still a loss. As I am now one game in their debt, I felt it behooved me as a Merith of impeccable honor to offer them another game.”

Claire closed her eyes in resignation. She didn’t even wait for the prompt. “What game do you offer?”

“Oh, it is not for you, Claire. I owe you nothing. It is for your friends.” He turned to Sage. “Since you have already shown your willingness to risk yourselves for this human, I’ll offer you a chance to barter for her safety. There is a human artifact on Selta that I wish to acquire nearly as much as I wish to reclaim Claire. If you obtain this artifact for me, this computer, I will return Claire to you unharmed. I will then leave you completely alone and unmolested for one month. You may go as far as your wits and wealth will take you and I will pledge to only resume my search at the conclusion of the month.”

Sage nodded politely to Faal. “May I know if this is the computer we have recently learned of at the Spo embassy?”

“That is precisely the one. And as my agents have gathered that you seek to – what is the phrase? – break and enter this facility already, I merely offer you another target.”

“Still,” Sage said. “Stealing ink, as I’m sure you’re aware is our goal, is not nearly as serious as stealing a sentient computer that we believe is highly valued by the humans at the embassy. A one month head-start is not an equable return for the risk we would take. Make it a year and I begin to see my way.”