Chapter 33

“Oh.” Claire said. “Oh, dear.” She was alone in the girls’ room, lying on her bed. The words waited patiently on her glasses, and she looked furtively to the door. No one was nearby.

“Akemi?” she repeated tentatively.

Yes. It’s a long story, but I am a sixteen year old girl, and also a computer. These glasses are directly linked to my computer, and I’ve been keeping tabs on you since you took them.

Claire wasn’t sure what explanation she expected, but that wasn’t it. She couldn’t even figure out what to question first. “You’re…You’re a computer? At the embassy?” she said stupidly.

Yes. These glasses were going to be for Basher, but they hadn’t been calibrated yet. I’m glad you took them instead. I’ve enjoyed keeping you company these last few weeks. :-)

“Well – uh – I sure appreciate it. I couldn’t’ve made it without all your translations and tips.”

Claire’s brain was beginning to wake up now. How could she be sure this was the truth? It must be true that these glasses were linked to someone, but perhaps it was only Basher or one of the Spo. But then, what a strange and elaborate story for someone to create! “If you’re at the embassy, why hasn’t someone come and arrested us? Don’t you know where we are?”

Actually I don’t know. I don’t have a positioning system through the Seltan satellites, so I can’t triangulate your position. I know you’re in Lower Selta, but that’s about it. If you’d ever gone outside that would have simplified things a lot! :-)

Claire smiled involuntarily. Her reclusiveness had served an extra purpose then.

But I almost forgot to tell you! Basher knows you’re human, Claire. He’d given you a blood test that he said was a vitamin supplement. That’s why you got so sick that night, and now he knows for sure that you’re human. You can come back to the embassy and be safe now. Basher would never let Faal take a true human, especially you.

Claire felt no desire to smile now. Was this the truth? Could she believe it? Or was it some kind of ruse to make her come back to the embassy on her own? Or to make her turn on the Rik?

It’s true. I wouldn’t lie to you. I know you thought I was just a computer, but don’t you have some sense of who I am? I’m your friend.

Claire admitted that this felt true. She did feel like she knew Akemi, and it was shockingly easy to think of her as a teenage girl. The whole story fit her nebulous feeling toward the glasses surprisingly well. But that didn’t mean that she and this girl had the same motivations.

“What about the Rik?” Claire asked. “I assume they won’t get a free pass?”

I admit, Basher still has every intention of arresting them. But this isn’t about them. You can come to the embassy on your own. They can do or go wherever they need to, and you can be safe.

Claire had the feeling that Akemi was being extremely careful in her phrasing.

I saw what just happened. The Rik rescued you from Faal, and that was amazing. But will they be able to do it the next time? Faal is out to get you. You belong with your own kind. Basher can get you safely back to Earth. Isn’t that what you want?