Chapter 23

A loud scream pierced the air around me like an arrow followed by the sound of something shattering, making me jolt upright from the ground.

My heart hammered in my chest as I ran the worst of possible scenarios through my head. Matt. Oh, my God. Matt!

I got myself together and was about to rush down the stairs when something stopped me, almost like a virtual hand on my shoulder. Right now, I wasn't being able to decipher whether Matt was in danger or if he was the danger. I hated to think so but what I had just seen seemed to suggest so. Psychopaths are excellent manipulators. I'd hate to think so but maybe, just maybe Matt had manipulated me into believing things that were never true.

After that scream, which I was positive had been a male's, everything had gone silent. Almost too silent. Trying to keep myself from making any noise, I stealthily crept out of the room and stood at the top of the stairs.

There was no one downstairs that I could see. The couch was empty and there was no sign of Matt. The silence still hadn't dissipated and it was making me uneasy.

As quietly as I could, I tiptoed down the stairs, my heart in my throat. I trembling with fear and adrenaline and could barely keep myself still. I guess it was the fight-or-flight response. Since there wasn't anything to fight in my field of vision, my subconscious was constantly screaming, "Flight!"

The moment I entered the dining room from the living room, my heart leapt into my throat. My breath hitched I didn't know whether to run away and hide or break down. Lying on the floor beside the dining table was Matt, crimson blood pooling around his head. Tears spilled from my eyes like waterfalls. I didn't know if he was dead or not. I had to cover my mouth to keep myself from screaming but despite my best efforts, a small whimper escaped my lips.

As if on cue, I heard footsteps from somewhere around me. Someone was still in the house and their intentions clearly weren't chocolates and roses. My mind was whirling, so I did the first thing my brain suggested: I quickly ducked into the supplies closet and hid myself.

Within milliseconds, I could hear someone step into the room, the sound of their shoes tapping on the linoleum echoing through the room. I felt guilty leaving Matt out there, alone and vulnerable, but there was nothing I could do. "God, if something happens to him, I'll never be able to forgive myself." I thought.

"Katelyn?" I heard a deep male voice say and my heart stopped for a second, "Oh, Katelyn?"

The sound of the footsteps kept constantly moving here and there, as if he was searching for something. Searching for me.

"I know you're here, darling." he said and I fought the urge to vomit due to his words. There was a very thin crack between the closet doors but I didn't dare peek through them. I just put one hand on my mouth and clutched my heart with the other for dear life.

"Come on, Katie darling. Don't play games with me." he said in an overly sweet voice, "Come out, come out, wherever you are."

I squeezed my eyes shut as the sound of his steps got dangerously close to the closet door. After a second or two, the footsteps receded away and I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

I opened my eyes and swallowed hard as the person continued to wander around the house, occasionally calling out my name in his sickly sweet and twisted voice. I couldn't hide in the closet forever. I had to think fast because staying here, hoping he'd give up and go away would be like inviting the Reaper himself.

I blinked a couple of times as a thought suddenly occurred to me. I had my phone in my pocket. I could call the cops. In fact, I had two right outside my house.