Chapter 6

"No."

"Please?"

"I said no, Matt."

He sighed in defeat, "Care to tell me why?"

I gave him a look, "Why, exactly do you think I would want to go to some shitty party that some friend of yours is throwing?"

"Cause it's gonna be fun!" he argued.

"No, it's not." I retorted, "What's gonna be there anyway, besides red solo cups, sweaty bodies and people drunk off their as- nevermind. You get the point."

"Come on, you're no fun Kat." he said, disappointment clear on his features.

"And you think you are? Do you honestly think coming home drunk at midnight is fun?" I blinked at him, "Don't you have office tomorrow anyway?"

"I have Saturdays off."

"Well I don't. Why is your friend throwing that party anyway?" I asked, "Aren't parties a high school and college thing?"

He rolled his eyes and smirked, "You're never too old to party."

"Okay. First, that was insanely corny. And second, no matter how many cheesy corny one liners you spit, I am not going."

"Fine." he grumbled as he made his way to his room, "But you'll be missing out."

"In that case, have my share of fun." I called out after him.

The moment Matt had come home, he had started to pester me to go to this party with him. I had, of course, denied vehemently, simply because I'm not a people person.

15 minutes later, Matt came downstairs again, dressed in blue jeans and a black shirt, his keys and phone in his hand. "Okay, Kat. Lock the doors and call me if you need me."

I rolled my eyes, "Okay mom. Now leave already."

He shrugged, "I'm just looking out for you. You never know, with that psycho shit-"

"I get it, Matt." I cut him off, "No need to make me paranoid."

He grinned, "Anyway, gotta leave now. Bye sista."

"Bye Matt." I replied as I locked the door after him.

I sighed as I walked back to sit on the couch on the drawing room. Whipping out my phone, I began browsing through random shit on the internet. I suddenly had the thought that I didn't really have anything to do, well, besides waiting tables at Cheshire Cat. "Maybe I should take up a hobby." I mumbled to myself, "Or maybe I can take a trip to the local library."

I was still debating over the matter in my mind when I suddenly heard a loud crash from the backyard. My heart began hammering in my chest as my eyes widened.

Thoughts started running through my head at the speed of lightning. Oh my God! This is it. It's that psycho and I'm gonna die!

Stealthily getting off the couch, I clutched my phone in my hand and tiptoed into the living room, where the large French window was. Everything seemed intact from there so I slowly moved forward and tried peeking into the backyard through the glass doors from as far as I could. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It was still as dry and lifeless as ever. Not that I was expecting the plants to somehow come to life.

When I was sure no one was near the doors, I grabbed the poker from the fireplace and carefully slid open the glass of the floor to ceiling window. Outside, I finally saw what had caused that crashing noise. There was a mud flower pot lying on the ground. It had been shattered to pieces. Up where there was a ledge kind of thing protruding from the wall at some height, there sat a cat, where the flower pot had once been.