The Wake - episode 53

A brainscalding pause that went on for anything up to five minutes, and then: “He’s away out the door. He left there a minute ago.”

Blessed be God. Blessed be His Holy name. Blessed be Jesus Christ true God and true man.

To add to the relief I remembered that weeks ago I’d stuffed a Woolworth’s bag containing a pyjama bottom with dried in dreams on it into a next to inaccessible space between the bath and the wall. I’ll really have to buy a washing machine, I thought as I reached my hand in and dragged out the dusty bag slightly skinning my knuckles in the process. Least of my worries. The pyjamas were quite stiff in places but apart from that, perfect. I replaced them with my trousers and underpants and returned the bag to its hiding place. My coordination wasn’t the best because when I withdrew my hand for a second time the knuckles were bleeding. But no pain so that was all right.

I did my best to sail breezily past the women in the scullery with a civil Hi, ladies. I’m not sure if it came off but nobody passed any remarks. This gave me the confidence I needed for my entrance into the wake room. What the hell, I reckoned, the worst that people can say is that I’m dropping a heavy hint about the late hour without actually telling them to get out.

“And where is Charles De Gaulle now?” demanded Bill.

“In the easy palace,” answered Willie Henry.

“Exactly,” nodded Bill without turning a hair. “He’s sitting pretty in the Élysée Palace. So what exactly,” he continued, “did the student revolt, the the the, the streetmongering achieve? Exactly what did it achieve?”

“Sweet damn all,” shouted Willie Henry.

“Exactly,” said Bill. “It achieved nothing. But mind your language sir. The deceased is lying next to you. Sorry, what’s her name?”

“Maud Abeline,” spluttered Margie. “Maud Abeline Harrigan.”