The Wake - episode 47

Bill took a deep breath and launched into a robust defence of the Liberator. “The fire in this case was lit by an unholy alliance of Planters and warmongers.” he explained. “The Planters hated him because he fought for Catholic emancipation and the Republicans hated him because he said violence was stupid and wrong.”

“Except when he was the one doing it himself,” shouted Willie Henry, the west having suddenly wakened up again. “Sure didn’t he shoot Fred Astaire didn’t he?”

A mystified silence followed while the rest of us pondered this claim, wondering just what to make of it, until it was clarified by Bill. “You may be thinking,” he said, “of John d’Esterre, a member of Dublin corporation. O’Connell criticised the corporation for being anti-Catholic and this man d’Esterre challenged him to a gun duel. O’Connell won and d’Esterre died from his injuries.”

“Well there you are then,” said Seamus, stroking his stomach with satisfaction and sticking his thumbs inside the belt of his trousers. “Political violence. The very thing he was death on himself.”

“Aye,” seconded Willie Henry, “there you are, the very thing I was after saying. Except when he was doing it himself.”

“Stupid and wrong? Is that what the oul goat said is it? Well that’s a goodun,” cried Jim, eyeing Bill with mild venom. “So Michael Collins was stupid and wrong then? If it hadn’t a been for Michael Collins the British would still be here the day so they would.”

“But they are still here,” returned Bill. “And what exactly was the result of all those killings he organised down there? A confessional state. A confessional state where the Irish army attends mass clicking their heels and armed to the teeth.”

The room was seething with insurrection now, the only ones out of it being me and Maud. My pressing need at that particular time was to empty my bladder but I had a feeling that if I stood up I would fall down so I sat tight if that’s the right word.