The Wake - episode 13

“God she’s far shook Master. She was a fine looking woman so she was too.”

“She was”.

“A fine looking woman. Sure I used to see you out the town with her all the time.”

I didn’t take in what he was saying right. This is what comes of being on autopilot. But now he was gawking over my shoulder and his face was whiter than Maud’s. I heard Mammy’s voice behind me.

“How are yous all doing?” she was saying and ones were getting up out of their seats to sympathise with her. Willie Henry gripped me by the arm.

“Who’s that there in the coffin Master?” he croaked.

“Oh I’m sorry Willie Henry. Did you not know? I thought you knew. That’s Maud Harrigan from next door. We’re waking her. She doesn’t have anybody.”

“Jesus Master, you gave me the wile scare there. Sure I thought it was your moller was dead.”

“Would you like to sit down?”

“I’ll do that,” he said and then whispered in my ear: “You couldn’t give me a wee nip of something Master could you? I’m just feeling a bit weak. I’ll be all right if I get a wee nip to bring me round.”

“I will surely.” I said. “Paddy all right?”

“The very thing Master. Just a nip now,” demonstrating with finger and thumb wide apart.

*** If you like my novel so far would you PLEASE write a short Amazon review of it? Even a review of what you've read so far? If you already have ANY kind of account with Amazon you don't have to buy a book to write a review of it.

I have put the US Amazon link in the top comment directly below this episode.  

If you could look at this I would be very grateful.