The Wake - episode 22

“I wonder what happens if there’s no will and there’s nobody belonging,” Jim said. “You know, when —”

Margie was itching to get her spoke in. “Goes to the state I’d say. The probate office would tell you so they would.” Her glass was empty again. She could knock them back all right. She laughed suddenly. “Maybe you’re going to come into a fortune Jeremiah.”

I looked at her, lightheaded with the drink. I was taking it too fast. Maybe Mammy’s the one that’s coming into the money. Don’t you be worrying, Maud, if you go before me I’ll see to everything. Just you leave aside whatever you think and I’ll see to the expenses and all the rest slurp slurp. God that’s very good of you Vera. No, somehow I don’t think so. Early this evening you couldn’t move but you were tripping over priests coming in and out of the house. That wee busybody Finucane was leading the charge too, he of the twitching curtain. I’d say that boy gets a big bang out of sneaking looks out at these upstanding pillars of society wriggling in the pews before they come in and then listening to their litany of secret sins. Makes him feel on a higher plane I suppose. Though what does he do if this guy that’s applying for the choirmaster’s job tells him behind the curtain that he interferes with boys? What does he do then? How does he explain voting against him if the guy has amazing qualifications? There’s something about him that’s not right. What exactly do you mean, Father Finucane? I don’t know, I just don't like the cut of his jib. Code for Sure you know I’m not allowed to break the seal of confession.