Chapter Twenty Seven Captive

The voices drifted to me. Awareness began to surface in my mind.

Where was I?

My head throbbed and I winced from the pain. The voices got closer.

Automatically I tried to reach out and rub the painful area on my head and my hands wouldn’t move.

More awareness drifted back into my mind as I opened my eyes slowly adjusting to the dim light in the room. I assumed I was in a bedroom.

It hurt to turn my head to the side, but I managed enough to see my hands were bound above my head; it seemed to the headboard of a bed. I blinked as fear began to seep into my consciousness.

Last thing I remembered was taking out the trash…There was a man…I faintly recall recognizing him.

The voices were right outside the door or wall I assumed was there from the direction they came from. I took a moment to take in my surroundings despite the throbbing in my head.

I couldn’t make out much the light in the room was on a table at the other end across the room from me. My feet were also bound as I looked around. The window seemed to be boarded up and the only other piece of furniture besides the bed I was tied up to and the table with the lamp was a chair at the foot of the bed.

A door opened and the voices walked in. I blinked from the flare of light coming from the hallway, it made my head throb more.

“You hit her too hard.”

I swallowed as the fear pulsed through me closing my eyes. My heart pounded in my chest.

Levi.

“I needed her out so I could bind her and bring her here son.”

Son? Levi told me his father was dead.

“She’s been out all day.”

Well it must be afternoon or evening then. I can only imagine what my father and Jon were doing and going through. Probably out of their minds with fear and worry. No one saw me get taken and I had no idea if they know by whom.

“She’s awake now.”

I held my breath.

I can tell by how you’re breathing, your heart must be hammering in your chest.” The adult male voice sounded amused.

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see Levi standing a few feet away from me at the head of the bed. The man speaking to him sat in the chair at the foot of the bed. I still couldn’t see him very well but his voice was familiar. I just couldn’t figure it out and concentrating made my head throb even harder.

Levi stood there looking furious, but there was confusion in his eyes. He was glaring at the man in the chair.

“Why are you doing this?” I managed to croak out. My throat was dry and voice hoarse. The question was ignored.

“Oh the little dear is parched. Go get her something to eat and drink, we aren’t savages.”

Levi looked at me then. He almost seemed…apologetic. He left the room without saying anything else.

“Now that we have some privacy little dear.”

I heard the chair scrape against the floor. He was moving it closer to sit at the bedside to me. Why did ‘little dear’ sound familiar? All I could think right now was I did not want this man near me.

I could make out some of his features when he sat back down and stared at me. Levi looked just like him. There was a lust in his eyes as he gazed over me admiring his handy work of tying me up. The look made my stomach queasy.