Chapter Eight Drama

I struggled with my classes the next few weeks. I could not get Jon off my mind. Today, Wednesday was worse. I had to go to the group home today. I would be working in the basement, again, making sure the boxes were all alphabetized and I had to clean out the storage down there of clothes and commissary items, reorganizing the place because my dad would be expecting new residents soon

Ironically enough I felt like I wanted to go out with Tony lately. I wanted a drink to get my mind off of what I was feeling for Jonathan.

Every touch now sent shivers down my arm. Every smile made butterflies in my stomach take flight. Every gaze made me feel light headed. I knew for a fact now that I was crushing on my best friend. Quite obvious really if I was every going to fall for one of the Millson brothers it would be Jon. Tony was my older brother practically he could never be anything but that.

The feelings made me nervous to be around him. Luckily I had known him so long I knew how to keep myself in a normal state of mind so he could not tell. There were a few moments when he caught me thinking though he didn’t know for sure that it was about him. He knew it could be about a boy with the silly grin that was on my face sometimes, or when he caught me looking at him.

We were well into October and I had continued things with Levi, though my interest was waning, which is why I wasn’t looking forward to going to the group home today. This Saturday Jon warned me would be a long night. We had all our displays ready for the last three weeks and I guess we were entering a new phase so we had a lot of work to do this weekend. We did not have to work every weekend but I still had not gone out yet with Tony this year so far.

Jon had started swimming and his first meet was on Sunday, I promised I would be there and thanked god it was in the afternoon since apparently we would be out late on Saturday. I got the feeling sometimes that Jon was having feelings for me too. He wasn’t the only one catching looks and thought to be hidden smiles. But just like me he could just be crushing on someone else, maybe.

The bell rang and I gathered my books to put in my locker for P.E. trying to hurry out to the locker rooms. I just wanted to get through the class because the weather was looking dreadful and getting cooler.

“Where are you off to so fast?” I whirled to see Tony coming up behind me.

“P.E. you are too I just want it to be done with did you see those clouds,” I waited for him to fall into step with me.

“Yeah it’s supposed to storm over the weekend,” he looked up even though we were inside the building heading out to the locker rooms out near the field entrance.

“Are we going to go out soon?” Tony asked with a bit of disappointment in his voice. I felt bad I had been neglecting our friendship and he needed me.

“I promise soon, maybe tonight,” I touched his arm to reassure him. He smiled completely happy with that news. Jon and Monique never seemed to complain about the time I did or did not spend with them.

We walked out to the P.E. building, separating to our designated gender’s changing rooms. I quickly changed, never was a fan of having to change out for P.E. As I was leaving the locker room I didn’t notice the small crowd at the entrance or the foot that was in the way so when I tripped on it the surprise stopped me from being able to right myself and I fell out of the building onto the asphalt scraping my hands and skinning the left side of my forehead pretty good.

A fit of giggles followed. I winced and touched my forehead there was a little blood from where the skin had rubbed off. I got up checking my hands and furious.

“Watch where you’re going Braddox,” the heat and anger erupted in my chest from that voice and I whirled around dusting myself off to see Becca standing there with a crooked cruel smile on her face arms folded over her chest. Her friends behind her were laughing.