Chapter Eighteen My Girl

Quick Note: Sorry again, I know you all hate me for such lengthy breaks lately in between chapters. Husband got a new job, so I am taking care of the house and my son now all by myself and I have been really tired lately. Plus its hockey playoffs hehe. I know this one is short but I ended it where it felt right. Lots more to come though. The song is 'My Girl' The Temptations. Enjoy!

*

*

“Little one, I need help.”

I looked up to meet Jon’s amused eyes with my frustrated ones. Jon chuckled and I threw my pen at him across the kitchen table where we sat doing homework.

“You volunteered.” He said dodging my weak throw. I smiled, getting up and walked into the garage.

Grandpa Greg had been home a week after spending a week in the hospital. His surgery was scheduled for after Christmas. In the meantime he is ordered to take things easy and slow. All of my family and friends were pitching in to keep him company, cooking, bathing, though all the older males were doing that task.

I was getting frustrated since I volunteered for most days after school to be home for him. Plus, I was in a lot of trouble still from the Levi incident. So far my dad hasn’t said anything further about it.

Jon, well Jon, a silly smirk spread across my face. That kiss changed something between us. It sealed the deal. We were an official couple. There hasn’t been a day since he dropped me off at home that we haven’t been together unless we weren’t doing the astronomy project on the weekends.

Still, I was upset, I was still grounded and not allowed to go out to any of the swim practices or meets but Tony would text me play by plays. Jon missed me being there but he was having a great season so far this year. His strength and endurance kept picking up and prolonging his breathing capacity.

I couldn’t help the selfish thought and wonder if I had anything to do with that since we were happy together.

“Yeah Grandpa?”

“Help me to the bathroom.” He grumbled. I kept my sigh internal despite his weakened state; he always hated being helped with mundane everyday tasks.

I hurried to his bed and took his hand my arm moving around his waist. He leaned on the cane that the hospital provided for him and tried to keep his weight all on his own.

“You are not supposed to exert yourself until you’re healed from the old infection.”

“They should have scheduled the surgery sooner then.”

“You know they couldn’t. Your tests came back without any immediate danger so they had time to let you heal. Stop complaining.”

He looked at me for a moment with admiration and chuckled.

“You are your mother’s daughter.”

I smiled and helped him into the bathroom shutting the door so he had some privacy. As I waited I thought about how things were going.

At school it was pretty public knowledge now about Jon and I and I worried about the looks I got from Becca when she saw us together. Tony and Monique were warming up to the idea of being more public about their fondness of each other.

Tony had shut the door slightly when some of his conquests began to gather, point and talk. Monique was not pleased with that. I tried to stay out of it because he, well the both of them needed to grow up and figure it out on their own.

Jon and I were doing well and having those couple type conversations, everything was nice. My parents allowed him to stay over on the weekdays most the time now until he went home. I think my father really enjoyed us being together and it kept me from worrying about any permanent damage I might have caused at the group home. Though I did not know if I had or not yet.