Chapter 21

Goodbye, Sherlock

Chapter 21

Idiot.

Sherlock's POV.

"Do we need to go to your house? To take your stuff?"

I remembered the box in the backseat. Then, I looked at John.

"No, I have everything I need. Do you need to go back?"

"Not really."

"Good, because that would make us be late. I want to get there before Mrs. Hudson goes to sleep."

I saw his muscles tense.

"Be where?"

"In Baker Street, obviously."

"Sherlock..." He said cautiously. "Mrs. Hudson... doesn't live in Baker Street anymore."

"What?"

"She moved to her sister's house."

"Is she dying?"

"What? Non, no. She's fine. But her sister broke her hip and Mrs. Hudson went to take care of her."

I clenched my fists. Even though I'd been "doing all I could" never in my mind this had seemed a possibility. I knew what I would do if Mrs. Hudson was kindapped, murdered, or robbed. But I had never planned this situation.

"But Mrs. Hudson can't be anywhere but Baker Street."

"Sherlock, when you met her she lived in Florida."

"But that's different."

I stayed silent, knowing John wouldn't understand.

My plan of suddendly appearing in Baker Street was good in my mind, but I had never planned that they might have moved on. 

Baker Street was now empty, filled with dust and with the curtains closed.

Empty.

No gunshots, no violins, no explossions, no cursing...

Just silence.

That was probably why Mrs. Hudson left. It's not easy to live with the silence. I know it.

"I have the key." I whispered.

"What?" John asked.

"I have the key to Baker Street."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I used to always have one in my pocket. It's hard for old habits to die..." I said introducing my hand hand in the pocket of my trousers and smiled when I felt the cold metal touching my fingertips. "We can go back and call her tomorrow."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Why not?"

He started to say something, but then stopped and said:

"You know what? Let's do it."

We stayed silent for a few minutes, and I used the time to put my mind palace in order.

I'd left Janine in the altar.

I was going back to Baker Street.

John was alive.

That still sounded fake. Like something my mind had created while being high. Maybe it was.

No, it wasn't. John was there and everything would belike before. We would solve cases, he's blog about it and I'd forget my pants. Mycroft would get annoyed, Lestrade would give me cases and Mrs. Hudson would be invloved. Molly would flirt with me, or with some criminal mastermind and Anderson would be his usual stupid self, Sally would call me freak, but John would be there to defend me. People would buy those stupid hats and mum would call me worried everytime something happened.