4.

Kairi's P.O.V.

After alerting the clan I went on a border patrol/hunt.  I caught a rabbit which I was really happy about. Larger prey is always welcome. I am following the scent of something larger, maybe a badger? Its somewhat stale but it is still worth a look. As I exit the city and enter the forest my fur starts to tingle, Im being watched... I continue on as if I'm not but the feeling continues. I am being hunted... I freeze and crouch putting my belly to the ground and glance around.

Lets give whoever it is a good exercise. I flick my tail and glance back temptingly then take off running. The split between the forest and the woods. My paws sunk into the shallow water that trickled between the territories, leading into a river. Loud paws beat the ground behind me, Wolf. Some emotion burst through me, was that fear? No. Im not afraid. I am a warrior! My paws beat in rhythm against the ground. The river was loud in my ears but my pursuers steps and breathing were louder. I dodged a boulder to the right and ran along the edge of the river. The wolf leaped to my side grazing my side with sharp claws. I hissed out and tried to run faster.

Wait... Im on the wrong side! My territory is over there! My moment of thought must have slowed me down because at that moment I was tackled and flipped onto my back. A giant timber wolf stood over me, this was what fear felt like. Its bared fangs snarled menacingly inches from my face.

I shrank back in fear to stunned by the beast to move. It was a lot bigger than the ones from before. It stayed still and its growls grew louder. I let out a terrified yip then instantly cursed myself for my weakness. Im a warrior... Im a coward...

Alec's P.O.V.

The chase was on. She dashed for the river and I pounded after her then she made a fatal mistake, she went on the wrong side of the river to make her escape. She was mine now. I caught up to her and scraped my claws down her side trying to slow her down. I didn't want to kill her in the chase, I want her to face me and die slowly as a warning to the foxes that the new Alpha of the wolf pack will bring their ending.

Finally I leaped flipping and pinning her. I bared my fangs ready to finish her off, she shrank down in terror and let out a small yip. I couldn't move though... Everything in me felt wrong, all my killing instincts and thoughts faded. My eyes widened and sparks shot up from my paws. A sweet scent filled my nose. Then a voice went off in my head "Mate!"

What?! A FOX? No. "I, Alec Grey- Alpha of the wolf pack, reject you,... you cowardly fox." I spat down at her then backed away letting her get up.  I couldn't kill my mate even if I tried.

She turned torward the river about to jump in. "I, Kairi Belle- future leader of the fox clan, reject you as well, Alpha Alec Grey." She said pridefully flicking her tail and gracefully diving into the water below. Her red head appeared above the water and quickly went across to the bank on the other side. She glanced back at me on the upper bank with her shining brown eyes then disappeared in the undergrowth.

Instantly, pain shot through my body, my heart physically ached and I longed to be with her again. Hmm the Leaders daughter...