10

I was drifting through dark halls. My hands ran along each side of me, acting as my guides as I navigated my way along. 

        I entered a room, my hands dropping off the walls. I scrambled to find another wall, but a flash of light stopped me. 

        I was in my old house. This was the kitchen. 

        Lights flickered on all around me, lighting up the scene before me. Two figures sat at the table before me. 

        "Mom," I whispered. "Dad." 

        Their heads turned towards me slowly, completely simultaneous. "Calypso, we've been waiting," they said together. I took a step back. They never called me Calypso. Well, only when I was in trouble. 

        "What?" 

        They laughed maniacally. Fear slithered up my spine. 

        "Dad, what's happened to you guys?" I asked, moving back. 

        "He happened," Dad hissed, his voice sounding unfamiliar. 

        "Who's he?" 

        "The one who killed us. And now, he's going to kill you," my mom responded. 

        They disappeared. "Oh, Calypso," Mom's voice whispered in my ear. Her fingers gripped my neck and head, nails digging into the skin."My naive, beautiful child."  

        She appeared in front of me, next to my dad, wearing the same hungry grin. The lights flashed again, illuminating my parents' faces. 

        Their eyes were completely black. 

        I gasped in fear, stumbling backwards. I tripped, landing on the floor and scrambling away as my parents prowled forward. 

        "M- Mom. Dad. P- Please. I l- love you," I stuttered, sobs escaping my lips. 

        "TOO LATE!" they screeched, voices demonic and cacophonous.

        "Mom! Dad!" 

        Slippery black vines slithered around my legs and up my torso as I screamed and kicked wildly. 

        "Please!" 

        I was slumped against the wall, unable to move as the vines pinned my arms to my sides and covered my mouth. Sobbing, I looked pleadingly at my parents. Their mouths opened. 

        "Caly, wake up!" they said. Suddenly, the darkness disappeared. The black faded from their eyes, and my parents crumpled to the ground next to me. The vines disintegrated, and I quickly pulled my knees to my chest, trembling uncontrollably. 

        My mom looked up. Her eyes were the same green color as I remembered. 

        "Caly, we love you." I sobbed harder.