Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Waking up late the next morning, I stumbled to the bathroom to get some painkillers. My face was throbbing painfully and I just wanted to get back in my bed and sleep the pain away. Knowing that wasn't a real possibility, I showered and got ready for the day. I walked out of the bathroom. Sean looked up at me and winced.

"Really," I said. "I can't look that bad."

"No, of course not," he said. "You look fine."

I looked at him sourly. "Little hint that will help you with all future dealings with women. You do not lie well. Either be completely honest or don't say anything."

"I'll take that advice on board," he said seriously.

"You do that," I chuckled.

Sean looked nervous.

"Okay buddy," I said. "Talk to me. There's obviously something you want to say."

"What you did for me yesterday, I don't know how to thank you. I feel like I should do something but I don't know what to do."

"Sean, I don't know what to say," I said. "Can't we just forget about it?"

"You don't understand," said Sean. "My mom would have left me to face that alone. She even told them when I walked in that they had me now, they should let her go. My mom did that. When he pointed that gun at my head, I figured who would care if I died if my own mom didn't. Then you walked in and saved my life by putting yours in danger. No one has ever done anything like that for me before. I don't know how to deal with it."

"Then don't," I said, as I started rattling plates and getting breakfast organized. "It's part of the past now. Look at this as your second chance. What I want is for you to work out what you want to do with your life and chase after it. Live every moment of your life because now you know how amazing it is to be alive."

"You sound like you're talking from experience."

"I am," I said.

Sean got up and gave me a hug. "You're pretty awesome."

"Even though I'm not hot?" I teased.

"You are never going to let me forget that are you?" he said.

"No way, I am going to have that hanging over your head for the rest of your life."

The ringing of my phone interrupted us.

"Yes," I answered, still smiling at Sean.

"I need you to come and pick me up now. I am not staying in this place for one moment longer," the dulcet tones of Eleanor Channing came screeching down the phone.

I winced. I know that I hadn't held out much hope for her staying at the relaxation center for very long, but I had hoped she'd last longer than a couple of days.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," I said resignedly and hung up before she could start complaining. "Work's calling," I said to Sean. "I'll probably be out the rest of the day. If you need anything ask Miss Betsy."

"You're trusting me to stay alone in your home," said Sean.

"Sure, you've got a reason why I shouldn't?"

"No, just not many people would."

I shrugged as I stuck a piece of toast in my mouth.

Hurrying out, I knocked on Miss Betsy's door.

"I have to go to work," I said. "Could you please give Sean a hand if he needs it."

"Of course, sugar," she said smiling.