Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Sitting in the interrogation room, I started once again questioning why I was doing this. Ramos started the interview and I could feel myself sweating as Reggie droned on about my rights and how I was doing them a favor. Ramos kept looking at him while Griffin kept his implacable stare on me. I couldn't help wondering what he was thinking and tried to meet his expression with my own tough glare, as if this whole situation didn't terrify me. I don't think it worked too well as the irritating man quirked his eyebrow at me and looked like he was having to stop himself from laughing.

"Thank you, Mr Goodman." Detective Ramos finally broke in when it looked like Reggie was about to recite the Constitution to them. "I think we can get started, a few details first. Can the witness please give us her name."

"Trudie Eyre." I was quite proud that there was only a small waver in my voice.

"Is that your full, correct name?" she asked with a small smile.

Great, she knew. I could tell from the look on her face that she knew that my mother had given me a name no modern mother should give their child.

"My full name is Gertrude Mary Eyre," I said, glaring at her.

I know, Gertrude. I was named after my dad's grandmother. To this day I don't understand what my mom was thinking. She says my great-grandmother was sick when I was born and they didn't know if she would live. Between that, the really long labor, the drugs and the pressure from my grandmother, she signed the paperwork without really thinking.

Once the situation had calmed down enough that she realized what she had done to her firstborn child, it was too late. The best she could do was shorten it to Trudie. That and tell me at least it wasn't a stripper name. No, I had a name as far from a stripper name as it was possible to get. A name that was pretty much guaranteed to be accompanied by the sentence, 'why would your mother do that' by everyone who heard it. I could tell that was the next question Detective Ramos wanted to ask, but she was a professional. She only looked like she wanted to burst out laughing at my stupid name. She didn't actually do it. I wasn't even game to look at Griffin. That quirking eyebrow of his made me want to slap him. Despite my limited knowledge of the American justice system, I'm pretty sure slapping a detective quirking an eyebrow at you because of the stupid name your mother gave you, would be considered a bad thing.

"You are not an American citizen are you?" she asked.

"No I'm not, I'm Australian," I said, sighing.

I knew where this was going. The one thing about working in America but not actually being an American, is that there are some people who assume you are here illegally. If you do anything that annoys them, or if they want something from you, they threaten to report you to Immigration.

"Miss Eyre is working in this country legally. I have all the paperwork here," Reggie interrupted, reaching into his briefcase.

Lucky for me Reggie did all my original paperwork, as Monique was the one who sponsored me for my green card. Ramos and Griffin weren't interested in the paperwork. I knew that and Reggie knew that. The question was just aimed to rattle my cage, make me feel uncertain about my status and a little bit more willing to cooperate. What they failed to realize was I had no idea about my status and the only reason I was holding it together was because Reggie was sitting beside me and his knee kept bumping my leg in what I think was a desperate attempt at communicating with me in Morse code. Unfortunately for me, I had no idea how to interpret what he was trying to tell me.

"Miss Eyre," Detective Griffin said with a smile.

I looked at him and the ingratiating expression was so far away from irritated or amused at my expense, that I did a double take. Okay so he was going to try to be good cop. Didn't look like he was comfortable with it. I tried to quirk my eyebrow at him, and if the expression on Ramos's face was anything to go by, it didn't work for me either.