Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Going back to my apartment, I realized that I now had a whole week of freedom. I hadn't had any time off in four months, so I was going to need a plan to deal with this unexpected turn of events. I was excited. Maybe I could go away for a couple of days. I was still getting paid by Eleanor, which I refused to feel guilty about. I had only taken two steps into my apartment when there was a knocking at the door. I wrenched it open and noted that I always seemed to answer my door in a bad mood. That couldn't be good. Crystal and Edwin were there and they walked past me and sat down before I even had a chance to invite them in.

"I've spoken to Edwin," Crystal said imperiously, "and we have decided that the only way to get you out of your problem with Detective Hottie is to find out how Ryan died ourselves."

I was quiet for a second. I had several issues with that statement. Starting at the top, Edwin and Crystal didn't decide. Crystal told Edwin what was going to happen and Edwin just agreed. Though he tried to hide it, Edwin was nuts about Crystal and would find his way to the moon if she asked it of him. Of course, Crystal was completely oblivious and Edwin was not willing to risk never seeing her again by making a move, so the three of us continued in a painful dance. Secondly, I hadn't realized that Detective Griffin was now officially known as Detective Hottie. Obviously my introduction the other night had not changed her mind on that score. And lastly, Crystal's belief that we could solve a death, that the police were not even sure yet whether it was a homicide, kind of beggared belief. It did however sound good that she believed that we were capable of doing such a thing. At this point Crystal and Edwin were looking at me, obviously expecting my wholehearted approval of this plan.

"Uh, do you really think that is a good idea? Considering how much trouble I am already in with the LAPD. I have an assault on a police officer charge hanging over my head remember. Do you think I want to go sticking my nose in this mess?"

"You've got the time now," said Crystal.

Obviously she would know about Eleanor being away for a week. Crystal always knows everything. The woman has a network of intelligence that would put some countries to shame.

"I don't think the fact I have a week without work should be the deciding factor in this situation," I said.

Edwin put his hand over mine. "It isn't," he said. "We're just not willing to lose you." I started tearing up but he continued. "This detective is threatening to send you home. That isn't acceptable to us."

Okay I was really going to cry now. In Edwin and Crystal, I had found true friends, evidenced by the fact they were willing to hunt down a possible murderer to keep me close.

"Thank you," my voice croaked. "I appreciate the idea but do we have an actual plan?"

"Yes," said Crystal, standing up, brushing down her skirt. "We're going back to the place where Ryan died."

Not the plan I was thinking of. "Wouldn't the police still have control of that house?" I asked.

"No," she said. "They've finished their investigation there."

"Any plans on how we are going to get in or do you have the skills to break in?" I asked.

Crystal seemed affronted that I would even ask the question. "Oh I could get us in if I wanted to," she said proudly

Of course she could.

"But in this case I don't need to. Adam Hendricks gave me the key."

"Just as a question, why did Adam Hendricks give you the key to his brother's house?" I asked.