seventeen

for Erica, because I'm such an idiot for not having checked out all of her works yet, and now that I have I am OBSESSED

SEVENTEEN

"Just breath."

"Breathing."

"Relax."

"Relaxing."

"Did I tell you that you look immensely beautiful tonight?"

I sigh lovingly, pecking Brady on his plump lips. "Swooning."

Brady smiles down at me, tucking away the stray strands of hair before kissing me once more, this time a little longer than the previous. "Don't worry," He assures me, leading me into his large house and down the hallway that leads to the dining area. "They already know and love you, Leah. There's nothing to be worried about."

"I know." I sigh shakily, wiping my sweaty palms on my light wash jeggings. "But they know me as one of your best friends, not as your girlfriend. I want them to approve of me."

"And they will." He presses, squeezing my hand. "I promise."

Before I can argue or rebuttal with Brady, we reach the large dining area and I clamp my mouth shut. Sitting at the long, mahogany table is Brady's mother, father, and older sister Bianxa, all of which are glancing at Brady and I. I gulp, feeling my nerves intensify as the room becomes thick with silence and tension.

"Hey." Brady says, gripping my hand and pulling me towards the table. "You guys know Leah."

"Hello, Leah." Mrs. Hire greets me in a warm and velvety voice, her red, matte lips forming a welcoming smile. "It's nice to see you again."

Even at age 47, Mrs. Hire doesn't seem to look a day over 20. Her skin is tight and silky smooth and has a deeply tan glow from her days spent somewhere sunny, back when she was a full time model. Her hair is a light blonde color, seemingly natural, and runs down her back in smooth, innocent waves. I've always thought that Mrs. Hire was beautiful from afar but being this close to her should be illegal.

"You too." I croak, smiling as well before glancing at Mr. Hire and Bianca. "It's nice to see you all."

"Yes." Mr. Hire nods, not yet looking up from his phone. When he does its only for a moment as he quickly begins to type.

"Rufus." Mrs. Hire hisses. "We said that we'd be taking a break from that for tonight."

"One moment." He mutters, typing furiously fast before setting his phone down and smiling at me. "My apologies, Leah, I am a busy man." He says pointedly, grabbing his napkin and laying it over his lap. "How are you?"

"I'm good." I follow his lead, putting the napkin in my lap as well. "And you all?"

"Good, thank you." Mrs. Hire answers. "We're all very excited for you and Brady."

"Mom." Brady groans.

"What?" Mrs. Hire wonders as Bianca lets out a girly giggle. "We are!"

"Have you guys done it yet?" Bianca buts in, leaning forward on the table so that her heart shaped face is being propped up by her hands. "Like, really."