Chapter 5- This World is About to Change

Kellin's POV

San Diego, CA

We’ve been locked in our dorm room for the past day. You’d think being stuck in a room for a day wouldn’t be that bad, but when you’re talking to four teenagers, an hour is a long time, let alone an entire day.

No one ever came by our door. There wasn’t one set of footsteps. We were completely alone by the sounds of it. It was like were being excluded from the entire human races activities.

“Fuck, the wifi’s out,” Jaime murmured, putting his phone down.

"We’re completely deserted at a boarding school and you’re worried about the fucking wifi?” Vic shot, angrily.

“Well what else are we supposed to do? We’re hiding in this room like pussies, the cable stopped working, and now there’s no Internet! Dazzle me with a solution,” Jaime shot back, crossing his arms over his chest.

“We could play cards,” I murmured.

“I’m leaving. Anyone coming with me?” Jaime asked as he stood up.

“Hime, don’t leave! You don’t know what’s out there,” Vic said, standing up as well. “If you really need to leave, I’m coming with you.”

“I’m coming too.” I stood as well. I wasn’t about to let Vic get into danger with only Jaime around – oh god, that sounded gay didn’t it?

“I’m not staying here by myself,” Tony added as we all ran out into the hall. Before I left, I decided to grab a baseball bat I found in the back of the closet just in case it was needed.

Before I even had time to catch up to the boys, I heard a scream. My heartbeat accelerated when I took into account that Vic could be injured.

“Get the fuck off of him!” I heard Vic yell. So it must’ve been Jaime that screamed.

I ran downstairs and saw Jaime kicking and clawing at a creature that was on top of him, trying to get a bite out of him.

Without even thinking for a second, I pushed in front of Vic and took a swing at the zombie. It lost its balance and went toppling to the floor beside Jaime. Jaime quickly got up and I took another swing at the zombie until its entire head was caved in and it wasn’t moving anymore.

“Goddamn it, that was a close one,” Vic muttered.

“Thanks, um... Kellin,” Jaime said, awkwardly.

“Just be more careful next time, ok?” I felt like I had to take the role of the responsible one, because even though I was a year younger than them, I felt like I was smarter than them when it came to street safety. I always had to endure things like this as a child because of my parents horrible methods of raising their kid.

“What do we do now?” Vic asked, looking around to make sure there were no more zombies. It looked clear for now, but I had a feeling that could change very quickly.

“Hey guys.” We all looked over to see Tony pick up a set of keys on the floor of the common room. “It looks like someone dropped their keys to one of the buses out there.”

I watched as Jaime smiled and grabbed the keys from Tony. “This is perfect! We can just go out there and find the right bus, and start travelling from there.”

“Are you really sure you want to go out there? I mean, you know what we’re up against, and it’s safer if we’re somewhere familiar...” I felt my anxiety build a bit from the thought of leaving.

“We can’t just stay here the whole time. I’m sure there are more where that came from and soon this place will get infested. It’ll be easier to leave now before it’s too late.” Jaime already started walking out to the parking lot and no one had the guts to disagree with him.

“Great find, Tone,” Vic said as we approached the buses. I loved that no matter what the circumstances where, Vic always found a way to say something that made us all feel a little better about ourselves.

We all stood around for about five minutes as Jaime checked all of the buses for the corresponding key. It didn’t take too long before we heard the satisfying sound of an engine roaring to life.

Everyone ran into the bus and we took our seats behind the driver’s seat. I sat beside Vic, and Tony sat across the aisle from us, happy that he had the luxury to put his feet up.

“So, do you guys do anything other than watch The Walking Dead?” I asked to break the silence as Jaime started our road trip to who knows where.

“We all play guitar and Hime and I do a bit of singing,” Vic answered, looking out the window to the deserted road.

“I sing a bit too.” And by a bit I meant that I frequently sing in the shower.

Tony started to tap the beginning of a song on his lap and I watched as Vic smirked.

“Don’t want to be an American idiot!” Vic and Jaime started has they sang the lyrics as loud as they could.

Soon enough we were all singing and drumming to the beat of a classic Green Day song.

Once the song came to an end we all laughed as Jaime turned the bus onto a small cul-de-sac.

“Jaime, what are you doing?” Vic suddenly became serious as he stood up and walked to the front of the bus.

“We have to see if your brother is ok,” Jaime said as if it were so obvious.

Vic sighed. “Ok, you two stay in here, I’ll bring Kellin in with me and if we’re not back in ten minutes, we’re probably dead.” Gee, that was sure a nice thing to hear.

Jaime nodded as he put the bus to a stop and opened the doors.

I didn’t say anything because I knew I didn’t have a choice whether I wanted to go in or not. I had the bat and that was how it was going to be.

“We have to be really careful when we go in, got it?” Vic said as we approached a stereotypical house with white panelling and white windows and doors. “Mike may look like a zombie because he’s a bit of a stoner, so just stay close to me and I’ll tell you what to do.”

For some reason I felt strangely comforted by Vic’s ability to be stern when he had to be. It made me feel like I wasn’t alone on this journey.

He grabbed a key from under the mat and unlocked the door, letting it swing open before he walked in the house and I followed.

The first thing I noticed was the kitchen. It was completely trashed with empty bags and red solo cups everywhere. It looked like a party went on the night before, but only in the kitchen. The rest of the house was spick and span. The living room had a perfect white couch and the glass table had not a mark to be seen from a mile away. It was almost scarier than the apocalypse.

I followed Vic up the stairs and as we inched closer and closer to a closed door, I heard the muffled sound of Hollywood Undead playing in the background.

Without knocking, Vic quickly opened the door, and I wasn’t the least bit surprised when I saw a boy laying on his bed, smoking a joint. He looked like he was living the life, and he didn’t care that the world was ending just outside his door.

“Vic, baby! I’m so glad you’re back!” He laughed as he looked up, his eyes completely bloodshot. But I felt like behind his stoned state, he was genuinely happy to see his brother.

“C’mon Mike, we’re finally leaving.”