Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Over the next few weeks, Jay was undeniably surprised but completely pleased that Ebony seemed to forget about their drunken escapades. In fact, if he didn't know any better, Jay might have thought that he'd dreamt the kiss because nothing seemed to have changed. Jay was glad that it hadn't come between them, but he really wished Ebony would at least acknowledge that it had happened, every now and again, just so that he could try and gage her thoughts towards it. More than anything though, he wanted to know whether she'd meant what she'd said about the kiss not meaning anything to her.

 Every morning, Jay would shake the thoughts of how soft Ebony's lips had been, how warm her hands had felt running through his hair out of his mind, and he'd start the day afresh. He didn't think there was much point in dwelling on something that was never going to happen again, and as time went on, it got easier for Jay to let things slip back to the way they had been.

 As time went on, Ebony began joining them when they went out more and more, even when she didn't necessarily need to. She got almost as excited as everyone else when she found out they would be filming a new music video, and Jay was forced to wonder how they ever organised themselves without her.

 The morning of the filming, Ebony was up even earlier than usual, and Jay woke up the sound of her trying to pry everyone else from their sleep.

"Oh cry me a river, Parker! The video isn't going to make itself! Get out of bed."

Jay smiled before he even opened his eyes. It never failed to amuse him how much of a struggle Ebony had to make Tom unravel from his quilt cocoon, but Ebony always gave as tough as she received. By the time Jay had slid from his mattress, not wanting the same treatment, and padded to his bedroom door, Ebony was stalking past with Tom's quilt slung over her shoulder and a triumphant grin on her face while Tom muttered into his wardrobe.

 A few hours later, after a lot more shouting and crashing into each other, thee six of them piled into the van. The early morning air was still chilly, so they huddled together while the heaters kicked in, and soon they had fallen into an easy, casual chatter. The time it took the arrive seemed to flash by, and before any of them really knew, they were being ushered out of the van onto a field that was apparently in the middle of nowhere.

Despite the fact that barely anything had been set up, and people were moping around groggily, complaining about how cold it was and how early they'd had to force themselves out of bed, Ebony seemed excited, and she asked an endless stream of questions that she babbled out while she watched the set being constructed. Her enthusiasm was undeniably infectious, and before long everyone was noticeably more cheerful.

 That, however, didn't last too long when Martin stomped over to them after a particularly disheartening phone-call.

"Do you want the good news, or the bad news first?" he sighed irritably.

"Bad." Tom answered quickly, and all of their smiles faltered slightly.

"One of the girls hasn't turned up."

There was a moment of quietness as the news sunk in, though Ebony stayed optimistic.

"Well, what's the good news?" she asked cheerfully.

"Four of them did." Martin deadpanned back. There was a collective groan of disappointment

"What are we going to do then?"

"We either need to find another girl in the next ten minutes, or we need to reschedule. The only problem with that is that because of the weather, it could be another six months before we can try again."