Chapter 2: A new day...

It was morning. The smell of fresh made pancakes was wrapping up the entire house. Arthur woke up and went straight to the bathroom to wash his teeth and face. It was a new day and he was optimistic. He dressed up and went into the kitchen, where his father wearing a white shirt, a black tie and black cloth pants and above all that a white apron, was preparing breakfast. He looked like the perfect mash-up between a business man and a caring father. On the kitchen table was a teapot, two tea cups, two plates with pancakes covered in maple syrup and some fruits.

"Oh....Good morning! I thought you were still sleeping. Actually, I was planning on waking you up after I finish preparing breakfast." His father told him with a loving smile on his face. He put the last pancake on one of the plates and then sat down on the chair in front of his son. "I thought I should make an american dish...because we did move to America. So I made pancakes!" he said with even more enthusiasm.

"Yes, I see that you combined the american cuisine with the canadian one, adding the maple syrup. You are getting good at this!" Arthur said with an ironic tone, but in the same time with a peaceful and loving look in his eyes. His father laughed and then poured some warm tea in their cups. "So...How was your first day at work? I went to bed early last night. I don't even know when you arrived home."

"It was great! I got to present my new project, and they loved it. I am still shocked." He laughed "You should've seen the look on their faces: it was the british colonization of America all over again!"

"Those are very good news, dad! I am really happy for you!"

"Yes...But enough about me, tell me how was your first day at Locklear?" 

      And there was the question that Arthur tried to avoid. He didn't want to lie to his father, but he didn't want either to complain about his shity day at school.

"It was...fine." He answered with hesitation.

"Really? Arthur, the principal called me yesterday. He said that he wanted to chat with you a little but you were nowhere to be found. Were you skipping classes?"

"Well...you see I....yes." 

"What? Why? Did something wrong happen? I know you only skipped classes when you had troubles.So tell me, what happen to you...again! Did somebody picked on you? " Arthur's father became more and more impatient and that was the reason why a lie was the perfect thing to calm him down.

"Dad, relax! Nothing happen! One of the students from economics was sick, so I helped him get home. I took care of him."

"Oh...Ok. So you already made a friend?" Mr. Kirkland asked with insecurity.

"...Yes."

"What's his name?"

"Um...Kiku."

"Kiku? That's a quite interesting name."

"Yeah...I like it too."

      He's father was silence for a moment. His face showed that there was something he wanted to ask his son, but he was hesitating.

"You're not in love with him, are you? "

"What?...NO!!! Jesus, dad!"

"Ok, ok. Sorry. That was a stupid question. Of course you're not in love with him, these things take time." He said finishing his breakfast, and after he put his plate in the sink, he turned to his son and with a still look in his eyes told him: "I just want to make sure you're happy. Ok? I don't want to see you hurt again, do you understand? And please Arthur, please, feel free to tell me if you're having troubles, ok?"