Chapter 3

California, here I come.

I'm finally gonna know more. I'm just hoping it will give me a sound mind, or even just fewer nightmares.

I hope I've pissed off nobody else. Although from what I recall, a lot of people befriended me, depended on me. Those thoughts cause a great wave of guilt already. Then Lupa comes into mind.

The wolf goddess Lupa acted as my mother. Well, actually, she still is. Years ago, she practically raised and formed me to become the Jason Grace the Roman camp knew (me earning a lot of wolf-related jokes from fellow campers). And now, my nightmares are never complete without her scarring remarks.

Because of that I believe that me stating that I am both Greek and Roman did not do all good. I may have bridged for peace on both camps, but I think it was unfair to Lupa and to the Legion. On top of it all, I chose to stay at Camp Half-Blood instead of my roots. I deserved losing my praetorship, as well as the Legion's loyalty to me.

And Reyna. I knew we weren't together then. Yet I wonder: what if all this didn't happen? Would I, with time, have fallen in love with her? What if we had ended up with each other?

I stopped my thoughts. I do not want to be consumed by my endless what ifs. What I feel for Piper isn't imaginary nor pretend; they were true. Even she knows that.

Now I'm not really sure about going to Camp Jupiter.

Suddenly, I felt a bit tired carrying my stuff. My back ached a bit. I regret packing so much stuff now.

Good thing I was already near camp. I can already see two campers on duty at the border, the boy and girl about twelve-years-old talking to each other in hushed tones.

At my back I heard feet shuffling. I guess I was so deep in thought I wasn't slightly aware other people are heading my way too. I decided to just keep walking anyway.

"He looks really cute." A voice which seem to come from a little girl spoke.

"But hey, that guy got a scar because he stapled his lip when he was two."

Now that's a voice I knew pretty well.

I turned around and saw my sister, Thalia. She looked exactly how she did the last time I saw her. With her were about four girls with perhaps different ages. One small girl was blushing. All of them were equipped with a bow and a quiver of arrows.

I was so surprised; I totally didn't expect to see Thalia.

"C'mon, you're my brother. And I don't exactly hate boys." She walked towards me and hugged me tightly.

"I missed you too, Thalia." I smiled at her. "What are you doing here? How's the Hunt?"

"We got new recruits who, I think, fit better in Hylla's little sorority than mine." She looked at the girls.

"But is that even allowed?" I asked.

"Yup. We've been doing it recently. Ask Reyna; she knows.

"But why go here? The Amazons aren't in camp, Thalia." I told her.

"Aren't you glad to see me?" She frowned for a second then smiled teasingly. "And actually, your old friend's queen sister is here along with her group."

"You mean Queen Hylla's here?" I questioned.

She gave me a nod.

I got anxious. I don't know, but the thought of passing by Reyna's sister scared me a little too much. I bet she knows what happened to us.

"The real question is: what are you doing here alone, Jason?"

"I'll be staying here all summer." I looked back at the camp. "I wish I'd discover more about my past life."

She looked straight at me, eyes full of concern. Then, she put a hand on my shoulder. "I know it's been hard for you, but I agree this is the right thing to do. You need to find out for yourself."

This time, it was I who nodded my head.

She grinned at me. "I'll just be here quick. I may not be able to see your friend. Say hi to Reyna for me." She nudged my elbow.

"What? And why are you smiling like that?" I can't help but laugh.

"I was just thinking..." She shot her eyes at me. "I know Piper and you have been dating for almost a year now, but I think you may have already guessed she's not exactly the girl I imagined you'd hang out with. I mean, she's great and nice and sweet, but hey, I think I like Reyna for you more."

I laughed at her idea, yet I had doubts on whether my laugh was genuine.

"Alright, okay!" She put her hands up and looked at me again. Her expression turned a little serious. "I'll be okay with anyone, I just want you to be happy."

She turned her gaze to the group of girls who obviously felt out of place. "If you don't mind, Jason, we're going to meet with the Amazons now."

The huntresses moved forward, leaving me behind. I wanted to follow them, but I foud out I couldn't. I was too agitated with what I'm about to do. I must trust my gut on this.

I heard Thalia say: "They have a cafe here. I bet they'd also have a snackbar."

I laughed at that remark. I wish I can just laugh my anxiety away too.

It's going to be fine. You're gonna be fine, Jason.

I took a deep breath. I hope this wouldn't be bad. I remind myself that there's nothing to fear, that New Rome was once my home.

I ran and caught up with my sister.