Chapter 1

I remember getting hot chocolate every morning with her. Attending meetings, prepped with a notepad and pen, in the Senate beside her. Cleaning the stables lazily together. Secretly cheating sometimes with her during Math classes as eight graders in New Rome University.  One-on-one combat during daily battle practice. (I remember we both are sort of losers in archery, too.)  Our tiring days and sleepless nights as praetors of New Rome.

I first met Reyna at Cafe Jupiter.

We were about twelve-years-old then. She was next in line to me for free samples of white hot chocolate. I was so fortunate to get the last cup, but since I figured that Reyna was the new girl who was a former Amazon some campers were chatting about, I decided I better give her the free drink. I was positive that she didn't have any friends yet. I didn't want anyone to feel different from most like I did that time.

What I didn't know then was that we never could have been close if she weren't unique.

She repaid me with a grateful and genuine smile. We've been friends ever since. Well, I guess only until before Hera took all of my memories.

Today, I made the decision to go to Camp Jupiter to finally say sorry to the best friend I'd ever had. I woke up early so I can get there in time.

I never wanted to hurt her, but I guess I sadly did anyway. But I do believe an apology can never be late.

I am now walking up to my once partner in crime. We may have never admitted that we were partners in crime to ourselves but it was undeniable.

I pass by a smiling Frank Zhang near the Senate House. I greeted him hello, him already wearing scrunched eyebrows the second he saw me. I also acknowledged some old friends.

I finally reached my destination: Cafe Jupiter. I checked my watch: 7:30. Just in time.

It was then that I saw her. She was wearing a purple toga and had her hair braided, as usual. Though I probably saw her like this for more than fifty times, still her look full of power never lessens. Even if she also looks undeniably beautiful.

She got in line to buy hot chocolate. It was exactly at this time in the morning that we go here to this store.

I push open the glass door and saw Reyna turn around to finally see me.

"Hi, Reyna," I spoke, sporting a small grin as I wave a hand.

It was as if she hesitated to smile. I stood next to her and gave her denarii enough to purchase two cups.

"Anyone else with you? Where's Piper?" She smiled, though I could hear a tinge of bitterness escape her mouth with those words.

"Nobody else is with me, but they know I'm here." I replied, trying to put on a smile.

We got our drinks and headed towards the exit.

She only talked to me again after we got out of the cafe and were walking to wherever our feet would lead us.

"So, Jason, why are you here? I'm gonna have a Senate meeting in about twenty minutes." Reyna asked in between sips of her drink. She still haven't looked me in the eye.

I got nervous. I never gave a second to think about how she might react. We haven't seen each other ever since the war with Gaea ended two months ago.

Still, I did the right thing to do and said, "Reyna, I'm sorry."

Reyna wasn't able to hide her tension. She lowered her cup from her lips.

"You know, Jason, the funny thing is I can't even truly get mad at you." She laughed, finally looking straight at me. "I never thought I'd say this but things were hard when you disappeared. I didn't only lose a co-praetor, I lost my best friend."

I gave her a hug that was much too late. She didn't resist, but did let go seconds later.

"I'm really sorry and I hope you think my apology isn't late too." I spoke gently.

"I forgive you, even if you abandoned this camp you called home and never even tried to remember your past." Reyna silently said, tears falling down her cheeks.

I sometimes had thought about Camp Jupiter after the war. Ocassionally, I'd think of staying here for a few days. I know even Piper would agree, but I'd miss my friends in Camp Half-Blood too.

I looked all around us. With a lot of my memories back now, this place seem more familiar than it did when we landed the Argo II here. I must spend some days here next time.

"I hope we can be friends again." I cautiously spoke.

"Hey, Jason, maybe you'd want to go to the meeting? I know, we both hated those before but it's my responsibility as a praetor to lead one now." She heartwarmingly laughed. She wore a smile similar as to the one she gave me on the day we met.

"Sure, Reyna." I beamed.

Suddenly, Reyna took out a small pouch. I guess her toga had secret pockets. The bag turned out to be full of jelly beans. Maybe she got those from her jar at her desk.

"Want some?" She handed out the bag near me. I took a purple-colored one and grinned at her.

Together, we headed towards the Senate House sipping on hot chocos and munching jelly beans.