Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Jason

(listen to the song on the side during the chapter >)

            The battle was nothing Jason ever experienced before.

            The two giants were complete demons compared to Ephialtes and Otis. They were extremely intelligent and skilled. Pelorus, who was obvious the leader between the two, was like a madman. He never seemed to run out of spears or giant clubs. He was quite quick and very skilled, being the one to defeat Mars, or Ares.

            Mimas was also skilled, just a bit slower. He was immune to fire, as was Leo, and he also shot out fire. His aim was shockingly accurate, barely missing the teenagers as they scrambled from the extremely hot flames.

            Arachne had scrambled from the Doors of Death and she was nowhere in sight. That was a bit dizzying.

            Sweat was pouring down Jason’s face, the heat in the cavern taking its toll on him. He could barely levitate without getting nearly burnt to a crisp by Mimas, so instead he scrambled around on the ground, gripping his gladius tightly. He hovered about fifty feet from where Piper was crouched over Hazel, making sure the giants wouldn’t dare getting near the two girls. He was the leader in the group. Nothing would touch his girls.

            Coach Hedge insisted he was helping, yelling out nasty insults in Greek as he waved his cudgel around in the air. He nearly stumbled, looking like a drunk as he stumbled around the cavern.

            Leo and Frank were yelling incoherent things to each other, slowly circling Mimas. They obviously were brewing up a plan to attack the fire giant.

            Nico was stalking around the perimeter of the cavern, his eyebrows pulled together, his hand skimming over the wall. He was probably using his son of Hades powers. Jason didn’t know what he was doing, but Jason knew better than to intervene.

            That left Jason to attack Pelorus.

            Again he charged the giant, electricity cackling up his imperial gold weapon. With Mimas distracted, he took a leap and levitated in the air, trying to look as threatening as possible.

            “Hey!” he yelled to Pelorus. The giant narrowed in on him and grinned wickedly. “I think your time is up!”

            “And why is that, Jason Grace?” the giant taunted. “I’m protected down here by both my mother and my father. Your father is the god of the sky, correct? There’s no way he can protect you down here! And you need a god to kill me!”

            Jason gritted his teeth. Though he hated to admit it, the giant was right. He was protected by his parents, and Jason had no one. Again an overwhelming amount of anger towards his father flared through him, but he pushed the resentment aside. He needed to concentrate on defeating the giants and saving Percy and Annabeth, if they were still alive.

            He pointed his gladius towards the giant, summoning a lightning bolt towards the giant. The clenching feeling in his gut was more painful than usual. He had gotten better at summoning electricity in odd places, but it still weakened him to try. A surge of exhaustion forced him to stop levitating, his feet lightly making contact with the ground once more.

            The lightning bolt was apparently weak since Pelorus only stumbled back. He shook his head, his armor clattering due to the excessive shaking. Under his battle helmet he gave another cruel smile, gripping his spear tighter.