Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Frank

            It was so silent that Frank wanted someone to yell to shatter the emptiness of the cavern.

            Arachne remained on the huge silver door, still smiling, and the ripped camp shirt still in her grasp. It was torn to pieces, basically just rags in the spider’s grasp. The cloth was more brown and red than it was orange. It hurt Frank’s head to even imagine Percy wearing that shirt.

            “NO!” Hazel suddenly screamed in disbelief. Her face, which was slightly smudged with dirt, now had streaks of water running down and dripping off her chin. “Percy can’t be dead! He can’t be!”

            “But he is, daughter of the Underworld,” Mimas said, just laughing in obvious amusement. “Can’t you sense his passing?”

            Hazel’s face scrunched up.

            “I didn’t sense anything,” Nico spoke up, his eyebrows pulling together. “I’m the son of Hades. I think I would be able to sense if Percy died or not.”

            For a moment the giants and Arachne looked panicked. But then Pelorus spoke up, “You might’ve sensed something. You probably can’t even tell if he’s alive or not.”

            “But I can,” Nico confirmed, giving a wicked smile. “My soul and Percy’s are entwined. I’ve been around him for years now. He’s alive.”

            The ripped cloth from Arachne fell from her hold. She looked beyond furious. “Attack, you idiots!” she screeched in a high-pitched yelp.

            It happened so quickly Frank almost got crushed. Pelorus slammed his spear down, the thick blade landing only feet from Frank. He rolled out of the way, gasping as the giant spear snapped in half. From the corner of his eyes he saw Jason and Piper leap out of the way, barely avoiding the splintering wood.

            “I’m meant to battle the god of war!” Pelorus bellowed, his shout making the whole cavern tremble. “You simply can’t escape me!”

            Jason stood up, the jeans ripped over his knees, gripping his gladius tightly. “Then you obviously haven’t met me!” he yelled. “I cause giants to tremble in my presence! I’ve slaughtered monsters much bigger than you!” He levitated in the air, adding a dramatic effect.

            Pelorus merely laughed. “Young demigod, we are giants. Our mother is Gaea. I think we’re much more powerful than simple monsters.”

            “You haven’t even seen what I can do,” Mimas rumbled. His fingertips were steaming, slightly sparking with embers. He lifted his hands, and suddenly fire blasted out of them. The stream of fire was aimed at Leo.