Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Hazel

            “Are you sure you don’t need more ambrosia? Do you need any nectar at all?”

            “Frank, I’m fine.” Hazel rested her hands on his shoulders, smiling slightly. “I might disintegrate if you give me any more ambrosia.” She wished she could have more ambrosia. It only dulled the pain.

            “Just making sure you’re out of pain.” Frank’s cheeks flushed a soft pink. “How’s your foot?”

            In the explosion, Hazel’s foot had been cut up. Some of the skin had been badly burnt and now was swollen. Frank had panicked when she collapsed earlier, so he had forced her to hold still while he dribbled nectar on her foot and gave her ambrosia squares. Though she was feeling much better, the pain was still present. Her throat felt fuzzy, and she knew if she had another square of ambrosia she would die. Her foot was elevated on a small stack of pillows. A glass of ice water was in her hand, covered in a blanket, finding peace that she was in her own bed. Butterflies were erupting in her stomach as Frank eased in next to her, holding her glass of water for her. All of this felt so right, having him at her side.

            “It’s better.” She rested her head on his shoulder. Her eyes still ached from sobbing. With Leo nearly dying and all this stress she had broken down. “I’m so relieved we all made it out.”

            Frank studied her face. “I’m relieved. We all could have died.” He tore his eyes from her face and stared blankly at the ceiling. “Is death a scary thing, Hazel?”

            The question took her by surprise. She glanced over at him, but his gaze was still locked on the ceiling. Her eyebrows pulled together as she thought deeply about this.

            Was death a scary thing?

            “No,” she whispered softly. “It’s definitely a new adventure, I was a little scared at first to be honest. Then I just felt confident. Death may seem scary at first, but it’s so natural that it can’t be scary.”

            “Oh.” Frank’s eyebrows slightly pulled together. “I’m just… I’ve been worried about my stick burning up.” His voice was barely a whisper. “When I released Thanatos, I saw my life flashing before my eyes. It was the worst kind of pain. I could literally feel my life being consumed through the fire.”

            “Frank, it’s nothing you should be afraid of,” Hazel said, trying to comfort him. “We’re not going to die on this quest.”

            “Are you sure?” Frank anxiously chewed on his lip. “Anything can happen, Hazel. Anything can kill us-”

            “Shut up,” Hazel cut him off. She pressed her lips to his. He was frozen for a moment, but then he responded slightly.

            “But… what you said… You needed to figure out why you and Leo met.” Frank glanced away, setting her glass of water on the small table next to her bed. “Hazel, what are you doing?”

            She bit her lip. “I do need to figure out why I met Leo…” She trailed off. She regretted being so cold and closed off to Frank. “But I need you by my side.”     

            He broke out into a smile. “I obviously need you, you have my life stick.”

            “But,” Hazel said, struggling to sit up, “I still need to investigate. Don’t get jealous because I talk to Leo.”