Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Frank

Frank jumped. In midair he shifted into a tiger. His claw caught Aether in the eyes.

“Ugh!” Aether clutched his face. “You attack me, shape shifter? I am a god! You are just a demigod! Another pawn in Gaea’s scheme! Who will win?”

Gritting his teeth, Frank shifted back into a human. This god was putting up quite a fight. Leo lay on his back, his eyes barely open, a large bump forming on his head. Coach Hedge lay unconscious on the ground. Jason and Piper were making their way over, though Aether’s light eyes were only focused on Frank.

“Maybe I have a chance,” Frank said. It was a risky move. “You’re a minor god. I’m a very powerful demigod.”

Aether removed his hand. Golden ichor still trickled down his face, but his wounds were healing. “This is my territory, Frank Zhang. I think I will be more powerful.”

“Think again,” Jason retorted. He and Piper flanked Frank, weapons ready. Above Jason’s head, storm clouds swirled.

“Ah, son of Jupiter,” Aether said smoothly, looking amused. “We share the same territories, don’t we?” The upper air swirled around him. Piper sucked in a breath like she had been punched in the stomach.

Leo groaned. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he remained limp. Though Frank didn’t like Leo all that much, it still killed him to see Leo like that.

“You two go for Aether,” Piper whispered. “I’ll go help Leo and Hedge.” She ducked behind Frank and jogged over to Leo.

“Your plans are deemed worthless,” Aether growled, a smile curling up the corner of his lips. Without even moving his gaze from Frank he flicked his finger. The air smashed into Piper. She flew backwards and slid down the stairs.

With a yell, Jason pointed his gladius at Aether. Lightning struck the god. Aether did nothing but stagger backwards a few steps.

While Aether was disoriented, Hazel bolted behind him and slashed her spatha at his back. He yelped out and crumpled to his knees. Nico then stood behind the god. He brought his black sword down on the god’s neck. Instead of injuring the god, the sword bounced back. Nico fell on his back, his arms extended, holding his boomerang sword.

Aether stood and massaged the back of his neck. “Agh,” he groaned. “Now I can see why Gaea wants to kill you so much. She speaks about killing you all the time…”

A chill went down Frank’s spine. “Gaea’s your mistress,” he guessed. “That’s why you’re here.”

“It took you long enough,” Aether sneered. “Most gods are joining Gaea’s side. She will rule once again with chaos and destruction.”

“Ending humanity is chaos and destruction,” Hazel murmured. She stood at Frank’s left while Jason took the right. Leo and Coach Hedge were passed out cold on deck. Nico was still on the ground, the force from his sword bouncing back leaving him unable to get up. Piper had slid down the stairs and hadn’t come back up.

“What do we do?” Jason asked, electric sparks running up his gladius. “I have an idea… but it’s crazy.”

“What?” Hazel asked, eyeing Aether wearily.

“Just follow my lead,” Jason advised. He pointed his gladius at Aether and a lightning bolt struck the god. Then he dashed down the stairs.

Before the blinding light could dim, Frank grabbed Hazel’s wrist and nearly dragged her down the stairs.

Jason was helping Piper to her feet. She looked up at the deck and her eyes widened. “Who made the god mad?”