chapter 4:Letters in detention...

“FOOD FIGHT!!!!!”

Food was thrown everywhere, guys where laughing, girls where screaming. They could hear the teachers trying to frantically settle things down, but it was no use.

“How many times has this happened?!?” Kiley asked Lily, trying to make her voice be heard over the chaos. 

“Never!!” Lily cried back, clutching her book in front of her face. It was utter and complete chaos in the room. Suddenly someone came barreling under the Gryffindor table, mash potatoes in his hair. He was laughing.

“Miley! Lily! Piper! Come join the food fight!” James cried, trailing a finger through the mashed mess in his hair and sticking it in his mouth.  

“No, thank you!” they yelled at the same time. James shrugged, getting out from under the table.

“I just got my hair done!” Piper shrieked as a glob of unnamable substance found its way under the table.

It was several minutes before Kiley heard the audible “Awww!” that rang through the Grand Hall. Kiley peeked out from under the table and saw that all the food was gone, even the food that where supposed to be on people. She, Piper, and Lily got out from the table, looking around suspiciously. 

Professor McGonagall was standing in the front of the room, turning a frightening shade of fuchsia. 

“SIRIUS BLACK, REMUS LUPIN, JAMES POTTER, SEVERUS SNAPE, AND MILEY RIDDLE!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL HAVE DETENTION FOR THE NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!” she screamed, pointing at each one when she said their names. 

“What!?!?” Kiley whispered, her voice growing hoarse. Her jaw dropped.

Lily looked at her with pity, mouthing, ‘it’s not your fault,’ 

Kiley closed her mouth, shooting a death glare at Lupin. Lupin was looking sheepish, knowing he had gotten her into this mess.

“YOU WILL REPORT TO MY ROOM AFTER DINNER!!!!!!!!!! AND I MEAN RIGHT AFTER DINNER, JAMES AND SIRIUS!!!” McGonagall screamed, jamming her finger at James and Sirius. She walked briskly to her seat, restraining the urge to scream some more. Everyone went back to their seats, shaking their heads and being glad that they didn’t get in trouble.

“But I didn’t do anything!” Kiley cried, exasperated. “I got gravy poured on my head!!!”

“I’m sorry,” Lupin mumbled, not meeting her gaze. 

“You shouldn’t be in trouble,” Piper agreed, buttering some bread.

“But try telling that to McGonagall,” James said, hooking a thumb in McGonagall’s direction. Kiley sighed. 

“I’ve never had detention in my life!” she said, slumping down. She wished someone would comfort her.

“How can Lupin comfort you?” Sirius asked suddenly, giving Lupin a sly grin. Lupin gave him a look that easily read, ‘shut up!’

“Erm, well most people who know me know that it always calms me down when you rub my back,” she mumbled, her cheeks turning pink as she looking down at her plate. 

Lupin’s hand immediately shot up, rubbing her back in small circles. She closed her eyes, straightening up and sighing. She smiled a small smile.

Lupin watched her face, trying to commit it to memory. The way her hair hung around her face, the way her freckles made her look so innocent. 

“Take a picture, it’ll last longer,” James chuckled, pointing his knife at Lupin.

“Go take a short walk of a long pier, Prongs.” Lupin growled.