Forbidden{17}

James POV

I pulled away from her reluctantly and hugged her.

"I've missed you." I told her

"I've missed you too." She replied in a small voice. I saw her wince as she tried to sit up. I laid her back down gently, she needed to heal. I looked at the equipment around, the ones that saved her life and I had never been so grateful. 

"How...how've you been?" She asked, clearly exhausted.

"Forget me Ginger." I told her. She didn't need to worry about me. "What happened?" I asked her as I held on to her warm hand. She laughed tiredly.

"Victoria....venom..."  She half-gasped. I heard her heart rate monitor slow down and real fear struck me....I hadn't felt that kind of fear in a long time.

"Ginger please stay with me..." I begged and held on to her tighter. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. I was about to panic but she opened her eyes again...

"I don't think I'm gonna make it...." She said quietly. She looked so certain about it, it was a bit frightenen. I pulled her into a hug and held her.

"You will, Ginger. You're strong." I assured her and kissed her again. Her body was getting cold, the warmth was slipping away. Suddenly I saw the liquid in the syrindge in the back of her hand pump itself into her body. Almost immediately, her heart rate sped up a bit. The liquid was keeping her alive. She needed rest. I had to leave her for now.

"Ginger, you need to rest. I'll be back later, I promise." I told her. She gave my hand a light squeeze and kissed me softly. I wanted to kiss her harder, show her how much I missed her...but I couldn't...not now. She needed to gain her strength back. Not surprisingly, in a matter of seconds, she was asleep. I kissed her hand and her forehead before tucking her in. Strands of her hair fell from behind her ears, I carefully slid them back...Seeing her like this disturbed me. Her hair had lost some of its shine and it was now flowing down her neck, her skin was paler, there were dark circles under her eyes, and bruises and cuts on her arms...she looked like she'd been through hell...so tired and worn out. She still looked beautiful...like an undead queen. Whoever Victoria was, she had better be dead. I was going to ask her for more details later. I walked towards the window I had come through, open it and jumped out. It was dark, around 11:30pm.

I was heading back to my place...I needed to chill for a while, take my mind off the hospital, drink some blood. It was windy outside and I didn't have a problem with that, I could change it if I wanted. Hospital staff were around, going about their daily routine. I could smell their blood...the sweet nectar flowing through their veins. My fangs started sliding out at the thought of the blood. I wasn't going to bite them, not now, not ever. I would rely on animal blood or blood from donors....I wouldn't let myself be that person. Blood. It reminded me of seeing Ginger's spill across my screen while a someone slit her throat. Anger bubbled inside me and my hands balled into fists at the thought of not being able to protect her.....

As I walked, I noticed many of the vampires that usually hung around to kill humans/drink for them were gone....either Ginger's pack got to them or the virus killed them off. I walked past Walmart and towards the desert corner shop next to it. No one was around, only a few cars lingered. Humans took the warning seriously. The wind blew stronger but I kept walking. I felt a change in temperature, it was slightly warmer. I was being followed. I turned around the corner shop and stopped.

"You went into that hospital....to see her!" A voice snarled behind me. Rex. Ginger's mate.

"So? Are you mad cause you didn't get in?" I smiled and flashed my fangs.