Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

            The guard’s lanterns lit up the ground. Some stood in place and others scanned the ground by foot. Intense alert was on everyone’s minds. Knights and few Elders of War had not received much sleep due to the flashing images in their mind. The thoughts Antony was thinking haunted the minds of the others. Trevor had tossed and turned throughout the night as well. Due to the medicines Alfonte gave he slept, but had terrifying nightmares of the worse outcomes.

            When the light of the sun began to peak upon the horizon all that needed training rose and put on their armor.Antony’s armor was in a chest that sat in the corner. First to go on was leather interior clothing, the chainmail, and finally the metal armor. Carried in a sack was his helmet. The feeling of the armor was heavy against his body. The capability of movement was nothing compared to regular combat. However, when in war all choices are dire for survival.

            After slipping out of his room silently he went to the training grounds near the back of the castle grounds. The armor of all the men shined in the light of the bright morning. Trevor stood waiting and Antony strode up next to him. The knights stood in rows in front of the four Elders of War who would be co-leading the army with Antony and Trevor. All waited for instructions.

            “Good morning brother, I assume you are feeling well.”

            Trevor nodded confirming Antony’s accusation. “Well enough for battle.”

            “I suppose we should begin with refreshing our memory of combat. Find a partner to battle and have your swords drawn,” Antony yelled to the crowd of over 50 men. All picked an opponent. Antony and Trevor faced one another as did the four Elders.  The stance began and all were looking toAntonyand Trevor to commence the training with the first swing of their sword. Trevor was the first to advance and surprised Antony with the force behind his hit.

            “Ay, brother you have strength,” Antony smirked.

            “My body does not know weakness,” Trevor shot back with a series of fast swings and jabs.

            Metal clanged against metal as all the men practiced. When enough time passed, Antony called out for everyone to stop. The men in front of him were not breathing heavy and still appeared to be in good shape. He was pleased with the sight. The sun had risen farther into the sky, but morning still shown on the dew left in shady spots.

            “Men take a short breather,” Antonycalled out and gestured the four Elders for a short meeting.

            “How do you think they are doing?” Antonyasked.

            “It speared to me that all are well equipped and had exceedingly good fighting techniques,” the by the name of John opinioned.

            “What of your thoughts, Thomas, Keenan, and Roland?” Trevor asked the other three.

            “All seem to have been keeping up with their refreshments of training,” Thomas said and the other two nodded.

            “I suppose we could get breakfast and continue afterwards with sneak attacks and to fully go over the plans,” Antonysuggested and the others agreed.  “Everyone may come to the dining area for breakfast. We shall meet here afterwards,” Antonyyelled and the men cheered.

           Willowstood in Antony’s room washing her face when the door opened. Marilee came in with her maid uniform on. She carried a basket of clean towels and clothing. When she noticed Willow in the far side of the room a bright smile shown across her face.