Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

            The next few days went by fast. To Antony it seemed Jasmine would not leave his side for one moment unless it was for a meeting with his father. He had only seen Willow a few times, but knew that Trevor, Alfonte, and Marilee were keeping her busy enough. The knights that were sent to the outside Kingdoms to spy were not back with any news. The tensioned thickened as the days without knowing who was behind the threat went by.

            After a discussion with his brother Antony realized that worrying about the possible battle all the time was useless. Trevor reminded him that their people had never lost a battle, and if it were up to them they never will. The cheerful notion Trevor passed on lifted Antony’s spirits some. A lifted spirit was needed if he was going to settle the marriage business. Each day his father reminded him that he needed to choose. He realized that Jasmine was keeping him busy for a reason, and he needed to get rid of her for a few days. Nothing came to mind until he got news that Jasmine had to return to her home for a few days to help her father. He knew that she would only be gone for the shortest time she could manage, but in this time he would have to make his choice. It was not that easy; he needed to remind Willow of how they once were.

            Dirt and stones scrunched under his feet as he walked Jasmine to the stables for her return home. The morning skies were clear, and no threat of rain or storm was in sight. Jasmine was carrying no baggage accept for a small sack thrown over her shoulder.Antony took that as a hint that she would be returning soon. Side by side they approached the fence gates that led to the horses.Antony stopped and opened the gate to let Jasmine enter first. Her horse was standing patiently near a stack of golden hay.

            “Excuse me, would you set the horse over there up to leave,”Antony asked one of the few workers walking to and from the barn.

            The worker nodded and went to retrieve a saddle.Antony glanced out of his peripheral vision to Jasmine. She looked quite nervous as she fiddled with her fingers.

            Antony thought she might be nervous to take the ride by herself. He thought to offer her a carriage with an escort, but she had refused when he asked her before they left for the stables. She insisted on riding the horse home herself.

            “Are you sure you are alright Jasmine,”Antony asked walked in front of her.

            She narrowed her eyes to look into his and smiled calmly, “I am fine.”

            Antony noticed that her body language did not make her appear calm, but her voice was cool and collected. “I am going to offer one last time. It is not too late for me to arrange a carriage for you.”

            “No, I just want some alone time. I think I need to become one with the natural things around me. You always told me to try to get closer to nature,” she smiled again attempting to make a point.

            Antony rested one of his thumbs inside the top of the belt that carried his sword and shifted his weight. “Yes, but you never listened before. I know that you prefer the finer things in life. Many times you reminded me throughout the years that carrying on in nature all the time is barbaric.”

            Her facial features twinge a bit at the reminder of her past words, “so it took a while for me to get the message.”

            The stable worker approached Antony who nearly doubled the boy’s size.