It WAS a Normal Day

"Ah!" I screamed, as I felt myself falling out of my bed early on Sunday morning.

Groaning, I stood up. I looked around and coughed. Oh no, I'm getting sick again! I sighed and trudged down the stairs to the kitchen. I made some hot cocoa and put in a generously large amount of mini marshmallows into the warm Jack Skellington mug. I stopped before sipping and thought aloud to myself, "Wow, he looks a lot like that Slender-dude."

I heard a chuckle from behind me and I jumped. I turned to face the large window that was once to my back. I had a clear view into the woods, with the tall, looming trees shading over the worn path that split the woods into two. Colorfully shaded leaves lay scattered randomly about the trail, and my backyard. I stared in, looking for that raspy voice that had laughed. I saw no one.

Starting to get a little freaked out, I shut the blinds and went to my living room. I sipped on my cocoa and turned on the TV. There was a new episode of Death Note on, so I sat down to enjoy it. There was a hard banging on my door. I jumped, scared. Putting my mug down, I walked over to the door and glanced out the peep hole. There was a tall, handsome guy with sideswept skater hair. He held a board in his hand and a helmet in the other. He reached up to knock again, so I opened the door. It was Ryder.

Ryder had been my best friend since I could barely toddle. He invited myself in. "Hi Vanessa!" he said enthusiastically, tossing his helmet and board into the closet and taking off his worn Vans to put them on my shoe rack.

I smiled. "Thanks for telling me you were coming over, Ryder. I was so prepared. Want something to drink?" I asked, knowing he didn't mind my Hello Kitty and Gir pajamas.

He shook his head and sat on my couch. He turned off the TV and pulled me into his lap. "Nessa, you're cold!" he said, hugging me.

I blushed. I'd never been this close to Ryder before. He always had a girlfriend, always. It was never me, boring old Vanessa Jones. But I thought, maybe, today it would start to be me.

Ryder leaned down to kiss me. I just happened to glance out the window before our lips connected, and I saw him. I quickly kissed Ryder, nervously. I pulled away and began coughing. I fell to the ground, clutching my chest. I could hear Ryder's voice calling faintly, "Vanessa? Vanessa!"

Everything went black, sucking me into a dark world. All I could see in my mind was that burnt in view of the tall, slender guy who'd been standing near the trees that Ryder and I had planted in my yard. He was watching me, it's true.. The only thing that scared me was that he was NOT like Jack Skellington. Not one bit.