Chapter Two

Dan

It's been almost a week since I spoke to Sky on the phone. We've been texting quite a bit, but we don't want to talk too much before the actual coffee date. We're keeping within the same conversation topics because we still want to have stuff to talk about in person.

"I can't believe you're going on your first date tomorrow!" Luke said from the couch.

I scoffed at him. "This isn't my first date ever, Luke. It's just my first date with Sky." Luke shrugged his shoulders and muttered something that sounded like, "first date in way too long."

I paced around the unit thinking about things that I should do.

"Dude, relax. It's just a coffee date. Just dress fancy, but not too fancy. Keep it more on the casual side of fancy."

I looked at Luke with confusion plastered on my face. "Casual fancy? Really? That's the best you can come up with?" Luke held his hands up in defense as I made my way to my bedroom.

Upon entering my closet a feeling of regret washed over me. I really should've organized this, I thought as the pile of clothes on the floor was up to my knees. I looked through the clothes that were still on hangers and let out a sigh of relief when I found a nice black shirt.

"You should wear that vest you bought a few months ago." I jumped and turned around. "Jesus, Luke. You know I get scared easily."

Luke chuckled and pulled the grey denim vest from out of my closet. "It would look great. Plus it'll look more casual and make you look more like a bad boy." I rolled my eyes at his comment. "Whatever. I said and continued to look through the closet for pants.

Once it was eleven o'clock I decided to turn in. It was still really early for me, but I didn't want to risk waking up late. I began to look through my social networks and checked my emails. The entire time I couldn't shake the feeling of "what if." I know appearance shouldn't matter, but I'd like to think that I'm attractive enough to want someone who's at least easy on the eyes. Everything about Sky so far is amazing, but I have no idea what she looks like. I shook my head. Luke's is getting to you. Don't lose a good chance. No. I don't care if she's ugly. After all, people say that the more you like a person the more attractive they'll look.

Saturday morning came quickly. I don't remember falling asleep, but I know I was thinking of all of the possible outcomes of the date. Sky and I agreed on meeting at eleven o'clock in the morning. I had three hours to get dressed, pick up the flowers and get to the diner or whatever it is. I took a nice cold shower and made sure that I was extra clean. I brought out a brand new razor and carefully shaved my face, making sure that I got every last hair without cutting myself. I then put on some cologne and got dressed. I ignored the rumbling of my stomach since I was going to eat breakfast during the date anyways. I looked in the mirror, but I was starting to have second thoughts. I felt like I was over dressed with the dress shirt.

"Calm down dude, it's just a dress shirt and a vest. Tell her that you weren't sure what to wear so you randomly picked it out. You're wearing jeans so it automatically makes it more casual. You're fine. She'll be distracted by the flowers guaranteed." I sighed. Luke was right for once and I didn't want to admit it.

"So is it fancy casual enough for you?" I tried to mock Luke. He turned around. "First off, it's casual fancy, not fancy casual. And yes, it's perfect. Now go deal with your hair; it's a mess." My hands flew to my head. I had completely forgotten to style my hair. I quickly ran into the washroom and began messing around with my hair. It was a bit on the longer side at the moment so I had to put some gel in.

Not even five minutes later I walked out of my washroom to find a note on my bed. 'Vivian called me for some... fun... I might not be home tonight so just eat without me. Good luck on the date and remember, USE PROTECTION,' I scowled at the note filled with winking smiley faces. He's such a player. He loves mocking me since this is the first time I'm going out with a girl since my ex. Apparently most guys my age have had an average of seven sexual partners, but I've only had one. Big whoop. At least I know I'm clean.

I checked the clock on the microwave and it read 10:03 AM. Perfect timing. I got into my precious car that my parents bought for my 21st birthday. I placed an order for a small bouquet of pink and white roses, Sky's favourite colours, when I woke up so they would be ready to pick up. As soon as I arrived at the flower shop I gave them my order number and the woman came out with the exact flowers I had ordered. I paid the workers and thanked them before leaving the store. I carefully placed the flowers in the passenger seat of my car and punched in the address of the coffee place into my GPS. I'd be early since there isn't any traffic, but it wouldn't be by much.

I arrived ten minutes early. There were six people in the coffee shop. The coffee place consisted of a family of three sitting in a booth, an old couple holding hands, and a man who looked like he was in his forties sitting alone on a high chair. The coffee place reminded me of a cliché diner from a movie set in the 1950's. I really liked it. The booths were a minty green colour with a purple stipe running along the length of the walls. Even the waitress's uniform matched the movies. They wore polka dot dresses and a matching polka dot bandana tied around the top of their head.

I sat in a booth near a window and pulled out my phone to text Sky that I had arrived and what I was wearing. I noticed that she read my text, but she didn't respond. She's totally ditching me, I thought to myself. I cracked my knuckles out of habit and anxiously looked around. A waitress spotted me and made her way over to my booth.

"Hi honey, my name is Marla. Is there anything I could get for you?" I tugged at my collar a bit, another nervous habit, and I smiled at her. "Can I just have water for now? I'm waiting for someone." The waitress chuckled. "Alright then, one cup of water coming up. But don't you worry, she'll show up," the waitress left with a wink. I didn't realize I looked so worried. Marla's words had relaxed me a bit, but I didn't want to go through the embarrassment of explaining that I got stood up if Sky doesn't show up. I sat back and let out a long breath. I'm early and girls tend to show up late, I thought to myself.

I wanted to text Luke, but he was probably busy hooking up with whatever the girls name was. I couldn't keep track of him and all of his hookups. I never spoke to them, especially not the ones that he's had over more than once. I'd end up mixing up their names and causing a big fuss. At one point I thought I was pathetic for not hooking up with random girls during college, but I was so focused on schoolwork and it paid off. I would've been in school for another year if I hadn't worked so hard. I also don't think it's right to go around hooking up with people. I know a lot of girls like to hook up for fun, but I don't see the point now that I've graduated. I just want to focus on my career and find the right person for me.

I checked my phone again. My email was filled up with weekly flyers for different stores, mainly stores that sold stationary. My closet may be a disaster, but my desk is organized to perfection. A few more minutes passed and I almost gave up. The waitress finally showed up with a cup and a jug of ice-cold water. "Thank you, ma'am." She smiled at me and looked outside for a moment before her smile widened more. "No problem at all. I'll bring you another cup," she said before walking away. I was about to tell her not to bother when the door at the entrance chimed. I immediately sat up straight, but was too afraid to turn around. Please let her be somewhat attractive, I kept repeating in my head as I stared at my water. Then again it might not even be her.

I didn't manage to see her face, but a girl with long brown hair walked up to the man sitting alone and asked him, "Are you Dan" I immediately recognized that it was Sky's voice. I slowly got up and started walking towards her. The man said a few creepy things so I cleared my throat and Sky spun around and I was not disappointed at all. She was beautiful.