Chapter 5: Put your trust in me

I literally dragged my feet to school the next morning. I was running late, but I couldn't care less. My bed-sheets had to be cleaned, I had to open all my windows to let some air circulate in there and I had to get ready for school. How could I possibly finish early?

I finally picked my cell-phone up. It's been ringing non-stop ever since eight o'clock kicked in. Joe's voice yelled through the other end of the line.

"Shut up, I already have enough headaches to last me a decade," I muttered.

"Are you almost here?"

"M-hmm..."

"You sound terrible," Joe said shocked.

"I told you, I have a headache. I'll be there soon so I'm hanging up." I was getting pretty irritated at him. He wasn't yelling, but it sounded almost as if he was. I was hoping I wasn't getting sick.

"Okay, see you soon."

I hung up and entered the school grounds. It wasn't that long of a walk, but I felt completely worn out. My feet dragged me along against my will. And yet I wanted to be anywhere but at home right now.

I didn't even notice when I had entered the classroom. I suddenly found myself seated.

"Carter, I had asked you a question!" our Science teacher yelled.

I blinked. "You did?"

This didn't seem like it fell on safe grounds. The class started to snicker, making the teacher even angrier.

"Meet me after class, Mister Carter," he hissed.

I only nodded. The rest of the hour went on pretty fast. It was probably because I fell asleep five minutes in. The girl seated beside me poked my arm when the bell went. I arose slowly, glancing at her and then at the teacher standing right in front of my desk, fuming his anger at me.

"Is my class really that unappealing to you, Mister Carter?" he asked.

I shook my head. Bad idea. I rested my head on the palm of my hand. "That's not it," I muttered under my breath. The unwanted feeling in my stomach returned from last night.

"Then what is?"

"I'm not-" I started before rising and leaving the classroom as fast as I could.

I pushed whoever was in my way aside, burst in the nearest restroom and threw up in the sink. I felt a hand pat me on my back. Well, this was embarrassing... I didn't even know if this was the girls' restroom or not. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"I thought you seemed kind of pale today." Robin's voice startled me. Okay, that answered my question; this wasn't the guys' restroom. Great...

She turned the tap open to wash it away and looked at me worried. I took a few deep breaths before straightening myself up.

"Feel any better?" she asked.

I shook my head. I couldn't afford to speak yet. The fear of throwing up again overtook me.

"Maybe you should head home and rest up."

"What is Carter doing in here?" Laura's amused voice asked loudly.

I sighed annoyed. I had a feeling Robin did something to her, because she suddenly turned quiet.

"You really should go home," Robin repeated.

After regaining enough strength to walk, I made my way back to the hallway. Fortunately I hadn't smudged my uniform, so I didn't need to worry about that. But receiving Robin's sympathy made me feel a bit uncomfortable.