Chapter 1: The bet

Dramatic situations like those occurred pretty much on every Friday. But that doesn’t stop them from falling for me. I’ve got to admit that I’m not loved by everyone. Some girls despise me, yet some are head over heels in love with me. Guys think I’m extremely annoying because I ‘steal chicks from them’. But to say the truth I have never, ever, truly fallen in love with someone before. The girls I go out with are all exactly the same. It’s almost like they’re copies from one another. Clones. Annoyingly clingy clones. So far I haven’t met a single girl worth my time.

Name’s Zachary Carter. That’s right, the Zachary Carter. You might have heard of me before. You know, the guy who’s known for dating multiple girls at the same time in a single week without getting caught? Yeah, I’m that Zachary Carter.

I can do anything I set my mind to, so I guess you could say I’m smart. Rumours have it I’ve got the looks and the brains. Can’t say I blame them; I just wish teachers would stop nagging me to spend more time in my studies. If I get the highest grades in my class, why the hell does that matter?

I took a deep breath and rested my chin on my one hand while the other held Romeo and Juliet open. Shakespeare was one of my favourite writers of all times. Besides, whenever I used one of his lines with girls, they practically fainted on me. It was a sure-fire way to win their hearts over.

I heard constant giggling behind me. I could barely concentrate on my beloved book anymore. So I turned to tap my forefinger on my lips. A seductive smile automatically followed. It only made things worse. By now they were practically yelling in the library. Ah well, so much for wanting to shut them up. I highly doubted they were in here to do anything related to studying…

A few minutes later I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned halfway and looked up at one of my giggling fans. I forced a smile at her. Judging from her reaction she probably hadn’t even noticed it wasn’t a sincere smile.

“Zachary Carter?” she asked me, doing her very best not to lose it.

"That’s me,” I replied.

“W-would you… care to go out with me this Friday?”

I shrugged and continued reading. “Sure.”

“Really? Oh my god, he said yes!!” she yelled throughout the library.

The giggling escalated to squealing. I rolled my eyes. A sudden loud thump grabbed everyone’s attention, including my own. I turned to look at Robin, who was sitting right beside the fan group. Her bluish-grey eyes met mine. She was the first to break the contact, grabbed her stuff and left the library.

“What’s her problem?” one of the girls remarked loudly.

“She has issues. She always goes around picking fights with people.”

“I’m just glad she left.”

The girls mumbled in agreement. Didn’t they even consider the fact that they were being too loud in the school library and were disturbing her as much as they were disturbing me?

“You broke up with Laura didn’t you? She spread some pretty nasty rumours about you.”

I shrugged. “Like I care.” It wouldn’t be Laura if she hadn’t done something like that. “And besides, whatever she said didn’t seem like it had that much of an effect. A girl asked me out in the library.”

“Nice,” my idiotic friends chimed simultaneously.

David, Kevin, Joe and John were the people I hung out with the most at school. They’re pretty much like my own personal set of minions. They encourage me in whatever date I have that week, mostly because they’re still single themselves. I’m quite sure that if I had the chance to give them dog treats, they would have eaten them.

“Hook me up with her later, will you?” Joe asked, flapping his eyelashes at me.

“Knock your socks off. You can have her now if you want,” I replied. I was getting kind of bored of my life. It felt like I was going through an endless cycle; a cycle I had started by myself. Perhaps I was tired of making girls happy now. Perhaps I was hoping something would spice up my life now.

“You seem kind of down these days, Zack,” Kevin told me, “Is there something wrong?”

I didn’t answer him. My eyes fell on Robin Heart once again. She seemed like she was heading towards the library again. Kevin waved a hand in front of me, pulling my attention back to him. They looked at each other for a while longer before turning back to me with a big smirk on their faces.

“What?” I asked, getting a bit creeped out.

“Why don’t we make a bet?” Joe started.

“What kind of bet?”

“Get Heart to like you and we’ll respect you for as long as we live.”

“And we’ll do your homework for the rest of the year,” John added.

“Lose,” David continued after Joe, barely able to hide his amusement, “and we’ll tell everyone your deepest darkest secret.”

“Oh really?” I crossed my arms. “And whatever could that be?”

“Being the most popular guy at school, I think it’d be pretty embarrassing if girls found out you are still a-”

“Okay, okay, you made your point!” I yelled quickly to cut him off, “Give me the specifics of the bet. When is the deadline?”

“Seduce Robin Heart within a month, starting tomorrow,” Kevin answered, “You’ll need every single minute of it.”

They burst out laughing.

“Fine,” I said standing up, “Although I doubt I’ll need that much time.”

“He’ll be begging for more time after he meets her,” Joe told the others, making them crack up even more, “Speaking of which, do you even know her?”

I shook my head. “She’s a classmate of mine in Math, that’s all I know.” That, and she probably liked to read. Perhaps I could use that with her somehow.

“You still have time to reconsider,” David tried.

“If she’s really that hard to get as you imply, then the challenge will be worth it,” I said simply. I wasn’t the least bit intimidated by them.

“Hey, at least he’s brave,” Kevin said nudging Joe.

Joe nodded in agreement. “Heart will eat him alive before he even has the chance to reach her.”

“Don’t underestimate me,” I told them, smirking.

 Kevin snorted. “You probably shouldn’t underestimate Heart, either.”