Chapter Forty-Five

Treyan wasn't too far off.

A week later, news came from the Councillor that the birth of the next Queen Empress would soon be upon them, and preparations for her arrival would need to take place.

When asked how he knew, all he was able to tell her was that the Annals had told him, and they could not question the magic of the Prophecy.

They prepared for the birth of an unknown child within the Otherrealm, and one of her sons would need to find her while the other remained behind, keeping the Empire safe for their return.

Alex had to wonder what part she and Treyan would have in that.

The day of the ceremony had grown warm as Alex stepped onto the balcony. While Treyan remained with the Councillor, assisting with the necessary final preparations, she dressed in one of her finest gowns with a maternity cut, the silver material flowing about her like mercury as the sun sparkled on its inlaid gemstones. She had curled her hair and piled it atop her head, making sure to place the crown of the Empress just right upon her head. With matching earrings, necklace, and bracelet, she was the vision of perfection, at least by the Empire's standards.

The gardens below were an exceptionally lush green, and she could smell the blooming roses from where she stood. She closed her eyes and soaked in the heat from the suns, savoring the moment as if it could be her last.

She wondered if the army within the Borderlands felt it too.

In the distance, beyond the tree line, they knew Reylor's forces were gathering. Without their lord, the mages were restless, and the minions without leadership were carelessly entering the Empire's lands, anxious for the opportunity to retrieve their leader.

That time would never come.

The victory was hers.

She promised Treyan the sentencing would be dealt as soon as the new Empress was born. Before then, preparation for the twins' birth would be their top priority, and that time was close.

"Empress?" a voice beckoned from behind her. She glanced over her shoulder from her place on the balcony to see the Councillor standing within the entryway. "It's time."

"Just a moment," she responded, a slight smile upon her face as she accepted whatever Fate had in store. Giving her Empire one last acknowledgement, she swept her skirts around and returned through the doors from whence she came.

Bria waited for her inside and closed the terrace doors behind her with a soft click.

The Councillor took her arm and led her to his chambers, where they would watch the new Empress' arrival through a viewing orb. Treyan was already there, waiting by the door, and took her arm upon their entrance.

She smiled at him, noticing that he, too, was in his ceremonial best.

"You look amazing, Empress," he whispered into her ear as he led her to her seat.

"As do you, my prince," she purred. "Though I don't know why there's so much ceremony when it's just us."

"Who needs an excuse to dress up every once in a while?"

They shared a chaste kiss before taking to their seats, knowing the fun and games could be saved for afterwards.

The orb was already a swirl of colors and light. Alex's eyes fell upon it in eager anticipation, watching intently, afraid of missing even a moment, and she wondered if this was how Saratanya felt the day she was born.

The room fell silent as the scene within the orb came into focus, and she felt as though she needed to strain her eyes and crane her neck to catch a glimpse of the chaos surrounding the birth of the successor to the Empire.

There she was: brand new, pink and crying, and perfect.

Something sparked in Alex's psyche, however, and she leaned up for a closer look.

Something wasn't right.

Upon a more in-depth inspection of the heiress to the Empire, the audience soon discovered the newborn was not a female at all.

It was a boy.

The new Empress was an Emperor.

"How can this be?" the Councillor exclaimed in disbelief, his shock evident in his tone.

Alex only screamed in response.

Within her abdomen throbbed the most excruciating ache she had ever felt. Doubling over in her chair, she did all she could to keep from falling out of it. From her knees to her shoulders, every inch of her being shuddered in agonizing pain. She had no strength to move but didn't dare even if she could.

Treyan was by her side the moment she screamed, but it wasn't until he gasped in horror that her fears were confirmed.

Something was wrong, she knew it the moment the first contraction hit, and as she looked down at the puddle of blood that began to seep through her dress, panic began to sink in as another wave of agony fell upon her and she cried out in anguish.