Chapter 14

Keep A Heart

Chapter 14

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." -Aristotle

Blair's POV:

The beeping of the microwave, the wailing baby in my arms, and the bewildered Harry pacing around me was literally making my mind run wild. All I wanted was for everything to stop, everything to be quiet, and to go take a hot bath, or take a long, long nap. But I knew that couldn't happen until someone stopped the damn microwave, until Harry stopped losing his mind, and until we figured out what is making Brynn so unhappy. And I don't even want to think about the messy house.

"Where's the damn stuffed animal?!" Harry huffs annoyedly, kicking a blanket on the living room floor to check underneath it.

"Who knew a stupid stuffed elephant could be so hard to find!" He yells.

"Could you please get the bottle out of the microwave? She might just be hungry." I tell him.

"She wants the stuffed animal! I know it!" He tells me.

"She loves that thing, and she's never cried like this before until it went missi-"

"Harry, just get the damn bottle!" I couldn't take anymore noise as the microwave beeped once more, and Brynn continued to cry in my arms. I shift back and forth on my feet to try and comfort her as Harry goes into the kitchen to retrieve the bottle.

"I'm telling you, this isn't what she wants." Harry tells me as he passes it over to me. I glare at him, aware that I'm in a pissy and annoyed mood, knowing that I shouldn't take it out on him but not caring much at the moment.

"Give me your arm." I mutter.

He passes it over to me and I squirt some of the milk onto his wrist to make sure it's not too hot. I can tell Harry isn't in the greatest mood either, when I look up to him for confirmation he nods his head for permission that its good to give to Brynn. I knew his eyes were fixed on me as I tried to feed Brynn the bottle, but she wouldn't take it into her mouth. She keeps turning her head to dodge it.

"I told you." Harry mutters.

I sigh loudly and shove the bottle back in his direction, pushing it against his chest until he reaches up to take it from my grasp.

"Well what else should I have tried Harry?" I ask, irritation laced thickly within my words.

He purses his lips, and I know he's trying to contain himself as he turns around and sets the bottle onto the coffee table. I wanted to speak up and tell him I'm sorry for being bitter to him, but I'm exhausted. I know it's not supposed to be easy with a new born baby, but I've had a week of no sleep, late nights of trying to put Brynn to sleep, and all I want to do is relax.

Harry walks passed me and down the hall, and I feel a lump forming in my throat as Brynn's cries and screams still flood through my ears. I sit down onto the couch gently with her, whispering questions to her as to why she's crying even though I know she can't understand as I fight my tears away. I know I'm being sensitive and I shouldn't be wanting to cry when I'm the one being cold to Harry, but I just feel like crying. After fifteen minutes of sitting alone with Brynn and her cries, and forcing myself to keep it together Harry comes back into the living room with Brynn's stuffed elephant grasped in his hand.

I take it from him without meeting his eyes when he hands it out to me, aware of him sitting down onto the couch next to me as I dangle it in front of Brynn's view. Things got quiet, too quiet as Brynn's cries quieted. I know his eyes are on me, but I keep my eyes on Brynn as I speak up.

"Where did you find it?" I ask him, my tone quiet.

"In our closet, underneath a pile of clothes." He tells me.

The new silence in the room made me feel alot more relaxed as I speak to him quietly.

"I'm sorry for being rude to you." I tell him.

"Everything is just so overwhelming and I know that-"

"It's supposed to he hard babe, this isn't supposed to be easy." When he laughs softly it makes me smile a little. I love that he has patience with me, even though he doesn't have much patience with other things.

"I know." I sigh.

"But I shouldn't be taking my stress out on you." By now Brynn is silent other than chewing on the ear of her elephant.

"I don't care if you take it out on me, just talk to me about it too." He says.

"Well in that case, I just want to take a bath and sleep." I groan, letting my head fall to rest back against the couch. I let my eyes fall closed and hold Brynn just a little tighter as I take a few long breaths. After I put her to sleep, I need to clean the house, make dinner, and then I can take a quick shower and sleep before she wakes up in the middle of the night.

"I'll be back in a minute." Harry tells me.

I nod my head lazily, my head still rested against the couch and my eyes still closed. I feel Brynn kicking her feet, looking down to see her still chewing on her now slobbery elephant ear. I should wash it soon, which reminds me I need to do landry also. I change Brynn's position, laying her down against my chest and closing my eyes again.

"Here baby, let me take her." Harrys voice startles me, and I jump a little in place and open my heavy eyelids.

"What?" I murmur.

"I ran the bath for you, let me take her." He smiles at me sweetly, and I couldn't help but smile back at him as he takes Brynn from my hold.

"Thanks Harry." I tell him, giving him a quick kiss before walking down the hall.

I ignore the mess in the bedroom as I strip out of my clothing, and ignore Harrys dirty boxers on the bathroom floor as I sink into the warm bath water. When I hear the bathroom door crack open I look over, seeing Harry peek inside. "I made a playlist for you one my phone, it's right there." He points to the ledge on the bathtub for me to see his phone with earphones plugged into them.

"Maybe you'll like my music." He smiles before closing the door. I didn't get to thank him, but pick up his phone. I make sure not to drop it as I put the earphones in and open up Harrys phone. After clicking on the playlist titled 'Blair' I shuffle the playlist. I found myself liking the lyrics to the music as I scrolled through Harrys photos, smiling at the pictures of me holding Brynn that he had taken without me knowing. I lean my head back against the ledge of the tub and close my eyes again.

*****

I had fallen asleep, and when I checked the phone I had only really fallen asleep for five minutes. The music still plays in my ears as I run my hands over my face, pushing back my wet hair. I get out of the tub and dry off after a while, and change into some comfy sweatpants and a shirt of Harrys. The earphones are still in my ears as I brush my hair out, and after that I venture down the hallway in search for Harry. I pass by strewn baby blankets and pacifiers on the floor in the doing until I reach the nursery door which is cracked open. I peek inside and see Harry rocking Brynn to try and put her to sleep, and take out the earphones as I see his mouth moving. He's talking.

I back away from the door so he can't see me, but stay close enough to hear his deep voice.

"The first time I held you I cried, you know?" He chuckles softly, his voice a whisper.

"I wasn't the dad I knew I should be, but now I think I'm doing an alright job don't you think?" I could practically hear the smile in his voice. I hear the creak of the rocking chair, knowing that he's standing up to put her in the crib.

"Try and sleep for a while yeah, and give mommy some rest?" I find it incredibly adorable yet amusing that he's talking to a sleeping baby.

I push myself from the wall and walk into the kitchen, acting natural as Harry walks in soon after. "So, what's for dinner?" I hear him ask, arms wrapping around me.

"I don't know, but I like the music." I tell him, putting an earbud back in.

"I know I've said this before, but your song is really almost done." He informs me. My heart leaps just at the mention of it.

"I really want to hear it." I tell him, and my heart warms when he smiles.

"How about I make dinner tonight? You could go rest on the couch." Harry tells me.

"No I can help." I tell him, opening the pantry door.

"No." He answers, and his arms wind around my waist to pull me away.

"Harry I can help its okay!" I laugh as he pushes me out of the kitchen.

"No, go lay down." He ushers me out and I roll my eyes as he pokes his head out again, pointing to the living room for me to go.

I put the other earphone in and plop down onto the couch, pushing a stray sweater and bottle off in the process. I close my eyes and try to get a little rest.

*****

When I woke up this time it was by Harry fingers running over my face to wake me up. His fingers are warm against my cheeks as I open my eyes.

"Chicken pasta." He smiles down at me, setting a plate down on the coffee table.

I sit up on the couch and wait for Harry to return with his food, turning on the television and turning on an episode of Friends as we ate in the living room together.

I didn't care about the mess that's my house, I didn't care that I might not even get to sleep tonight because of Brynn, all I cared about was that she's home and healthy, and that Harry and I are happy.

~~~~~

Authors note:

I'm sorry I haven't updated lately, I've been going through some personal issues with myself that I've been having a hard time with, and yeah....I haven't really found the inspiration or want to write recently.

But I hope to get better very soon, and to get this story on the roll!:)

I hope this chapter was good enough for you even though I think it's complete crap! Ha:)

Oh and btw, I am starting a new story:)