Chapter 9

Keep A Heart

Chapter 9

"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages."
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Blair's POV:

"Harry don't do it, that will make such a mess and I-"

My squeals subside as Harry pushes down onto the nozzle of the whipped cream can, my jaw dropping as it is sprayed onto my pajama tank top, dripping down my bare legs until falling onto the floor. My eyes flick up to meet his, a spark of amusement in his green orbs. There's entertainment within them, cheekiness being seen in the evident sparkle they hold.

I reach down to swipe some of the cream off the floor, laughing amusedly as I take Harry off guard, my hand meeting his face, rubbing the sweet substance over his lips, nose, and cheeks. His hands try and push me away, but I take advantage of my short height, dodging his attempted grasps to smear some on his bare chest as well.

"On no you don't." Harry chuckles as I try and push through the kitchen door to flee the scene. But I'm stopped as long arms wrap around my waist, my feet being lifted from the floor as he holds me to his chest.

"Don't! Put me down!" I tell him, my head rolling back onto his shoulder as I laugh.

"We're supposed to be making pancakes!" I screech as he sets me down onto the floor. I scoot away from him on my butt as he nears me, until my back hits the cupboards behind me.

"Well then maybe you shouldn't of put sugar on me then! This is only fair revenge, baby."

This all started because I had playfully powdered his nose with some sugar while making the pancake mix, and now look where that got me. I attempt to kick off his grip on my ankle, but it did no use as he tugs me towards him. I look beside me to try and find the can of whipped cream which had clattered to the floor in our tussle, and see it lying on the tile a few feet from me. Harry sees my intentions, and try's to scram for it before I could get it myself. His hovered position over me is broken as he reaches a long arm out to grab it, and I try and pry it from his grasp with multiple giggles falling from my lips. He hovers over me again with one arm holding his weight, the other arm between our bodies, his long fingers grasping the can. He chuckles deeply as I lean up, biting his forearm and grabbing onto the whipped cream can. But his iron grasp doesn't loosen, even when I bit harder it still didn't, not phasing him at all.

The warmth radiated off his body and onto mine as he giggled like a child, the can of whipped cream becoming one another's target.

"Wait wait wait, my bum is digging into the floor." I gush, watching as Harry instantly takes some weight off of my body by lifting himself up on his forearms some more, the whipped cream completely forgotten in his mind and now focused on my 'pain'.

I grin mischievously as my plan succeeds, snatching the bottle from his distracted hold on it, his mouth opening as he realizes I was messing with him. "Not on the face!" He chuckles heartily as I press down on the nozzle from beneath him, the white substance splattering on his face and chest.

I grunt, stupidly not realizing that it will fall off him and onto me. I squeal as Harry lowers his body, his nose rubbing against my own in attempts to get some whipped cream off his face, wiping it onto me.

"Harry stop! That's disgusting!" I screech, his tongue licking a hot stripe up my neck, eating up the sweet cream.

"Why? I've kissed your neck before." He murmurs against the skin.

"This isn't kissing, this is licking food off me." I laugh, pushing at his chest. He lets me turn the roles around, his back making contact with the tiled floor.

I lean over him, kissing his face, clearing the whipped cream off with my lips. "Hey wait, you've got some right there." Harry reaches up, wiping some off my nose, and then taking his finger passed his plump lips to lick it off.

"And you've got some right here." I giggle, smashing my lips against his.

After kissing on our kitchen floor surrounded by a mess of whipped cream on the floor, and as well as ourselves, I feel Harrys hands trail up from my wait, his large hands rubbing up and down my arms as we begin to slow the heated kiss down. His lips disconnect from mine, but pepper soft kisses to my jaw, breathing in deeply as he does so.

"Hey, lets go see Brynn." His voice rumbled against me, tickling the sensitive skin of my jaw.

I nod my head, appreciating the smile he gave me which wasn't forced as he looks up to my hovers position over him, giving me one last peck on the lips before saying cheekily,

"But how about we finish getting this whipped cream off each other first."

Harrys POV:

It made me angry at myself, not understanding why I hadn't wanted to go see my own child these past weeks. It was a terrible thing, really. To think that way.

Brynn has a great chance of coming home with us, and I only though of the worst case scenarios. Even now her eyes and nose look almost exactly like Blair's, and I know the dark hair that is on her head will soon turn into curls like my own. Blair and I sit in chairs right next to each other by Brynn, fingers laced together, eyes fixed on our baby.

Our gazes flick to the door which had squeaked open, and Blair smiles softly as the nurse enters. "Hey Blair." The woman says. My eyes flick down to my lap, my lack of absence here causing her not to know my name.

"Harry." She acknowledges me, nodding in my direction. I quickly look up to her, smiling. Maybe Blair had talked to her, and maybe even mentioned me. Or maybe she remembers me from my few visits.

"Well good news guys." She walls over to the machines that used to be hooked up to Brynns chest, but no longer are, and winds up the wires which ha uncoiled.

"Do we get to take her home?" Blair instantly gushes, squeezing my hand.

"No, not quite yet." The nurse smiles sadly.

"You get to hold her today." She tells us brightly. Blair instantly lets out a happy gasp, a smile forming across my lips.

"Are you serious?" Blair shifts in her seat excitedly as the nurse begins to wrap Brynns blanket around her little body, preparing to lift her from the crib.

Blair turns to me, tears forming in her eyes as she gives my hand one last squeeze before disconnecting them, wiping her clammy hands onto her jeans as the nurse nears her with Brynn.

"Oh my God, she's so beautiful." She sighs under her breath as she's gently layed into her cradled arms. All I could do was stare at the beautiful sight beside me, the nurses voice a murmur as she says she will leave us be for a while.

"Harry." Blair sniffles, her eyes shifting from me to Brynn.

"Harry she's so perfect." Happy tears flow down her cheeks, and I finally found the strength the unfreeze myself.

"I know, baby." My voice was gravely and rough, my throat thickening up. I stand from my uncomfortable chair, walking behind Blair.

I assume she thought I was about to walk out as she quickly looks over her shoulder to follow my movements, but instead I stand behind her. I lean down, wrapping my arms around her shaking shoulders, resting my chin on her shoulder. I squeeze her shoulders tightly as tears prick at my eyes, not being able to tear my eyes of my child that lays in my wife's arms un crying.

"She knows you're her mum." I whisper to Blair.

"Yeah." She laughs happily.

"And she knows you're her daddy."

******

It seemed almost impossible to have Brynn taken from my arms, but it became late. Blair and I hadn't eaten breakfast because it had ended in a food fight, and we had a few bites of lunch on the way down to the hospital. So, we decided to go home and make dinner. On the way out the the parking lot Blair's hangs onto my arm, her side molded into my side as we walk in sync. I slowed down my pace for her so she wouldn't have to jog beside me.

"We finally got to hold her." She squeezes my arm.

"I know." I murmur in disbelief.

"Blair, you know that song I've been working on?" I ask as I open her door, watching as she looks up to me with a smile.

"Yes, I do." She tells me.

"Well I think I've almost got it done." I inform her.

After today, I didn't have a huge road block in the way of my thoughts. Everything is clear now. Everything. I know what I need in life, and I've got it all. Blair, Brynn, my family, my best mates. I have nothing missing.

"I'm glad. Been dying to hear it." She tells me, before happily sitting into her seat in the car.

******

"What about pasta, that sounds good." I inform Blair as I turn the key in the lock, a smile still on each of our faces.

"Yeah, sounds fine." She tells me.

I absentmindedly open the door, but jump in place as I hear shouts coming from inside my house. People screeching our names. I knew who it was right when they dog piled Blair and I in a hug, making us stumble upon our feet as we attempt to hug back the four boys.

"Man how I've missed you guys!" I chuckle into the hug, scanning their faces as we release.

"You knew about this didn't you?" I turn to Blair, her smile giving everything away.

"I felt like you needed some time with them." She shrugs her shoulders, and I give her an appreciative smile.

"I planned it this morning." She tells me. I take her into a hug, confessing my love for her for over the one-hundredth time in a whisper for only her to hear.

_______

Authors note:

I FUCKING SAW MY 5THS LIVE LAST NIGHT. I'm still not over it, I feel like it was all just a dream and I can't