Dorm Room 210: Facts and Flaws

A/n: updated on 20th December 2019

Chapter 29:

Facts and Flaws

The strategies are simple enough:

Take a look in the mirror and compliment myself.

Take myself out on a date.

One of the two I can do.

I visit Stacy on the way back from Mahla to share the tactics, but mostly because I miss her and want to see how she's holding up. She's healing well, and she's able to move around with one crutch instead of two. Other than some of her girlfriends popping by, she's been stuck inside the house.

"Want to go out for some lunch?" I ask her after she finishes complaining about the amount of re-runs she's done with f.r.i.e.n.d.s. "We can take the cab to the nearest city and walk around, get some fresh air."

She thinks about it, and eventually shakes her head. "Maybe not leave the house. I'm thinking heading out in the backyard, do some creative expressions with some paint and empty canvas that haven't been touched."

A smile breaks loose from my face. "Yeah, we should! The weather is great for it."

We head to the backyard where a small garage filled with Stacy's collection of paints and spend the afternoon laughing with paint on our clothes and in our hair.

The year is approaching it's end. Three more weeks and we hand in our project and folio. Noah and I have finished with our clothes: two dresses; one jump suit; a suit and matching trousers. Each one with additional design that are colour-coordinated and hand-stitched to the fabric.

End of year exams are in a month's time. Thankfully, I only have the one to study since it's the core subject of the course.

It's been a week since Noah's party, and tonight is the dinner with Noah's family. As I get ready in a casual outfit, I stare at my reflection, trying to blur out all the imperfections and focus on the beauty. I think I like the shape of my brow eyes and the thickness of my mouth. My hair, too. Blonde is part of my family's heritage, and I love my family immensely. I should love my hair.

I keep the positive mentality in mind when we arrive at Vincent's house. When Noah and I arrive on Vincent's doorstep, the house sectioned in a secluded suburb I've never been to before, I can tell that the night will go smooth. For one, Noah looks visibly excited to re-connect with his brother again. He took extra measures in making sure his hair was styled properly and his clothes didn't own a stain. The other thing is the atmosphere; radio music plays somewhere in the house, a top ten countdown from the latest artists. It seems that the Sky's place their music on a high pedestal.

The glow of lights inside is juxtaposed to the almost darkened hour. It was quarter to seven and the stars begin to shine while far in the western distance the sun retreated, leaving a numb gentle golden hue, seamlessly blending to a bright blue before darkening to the ticking of the night. Transfixed with Noah beside me, I don't notice the door opening until Vincent's welcoming voice startles me.

"Glad to see you two have made it," Vincent says, his bright eyes matching his smile. He gestures inside, taking Noah on the shoulder with a gentle voice. "Good to see you, little bro."

Noah laughs. My heart swells with happiness for him. "Good to be here."

Vincent turns to me. "Good evening, Lillian."

"Hey, Vincent." A part of me isn't sure about his opinions about me, especially after my raging departure at Noah's birthday. His smile eases the discomfort slightly.