Chapter 10

Eighteen years

“Could you check if my heart is compatible for Jungkook, uncle?” Taehyung asked, sitting confidently in the guests’ chair in his uncle’s office.

“I’m sorry?” Mr. Park Yongjoon asked not quite sure if he heard his nephew right.

Taehyung repeated his question again. With it he added, “You remember Jungkook right, uncle? The boy whom mom and dad…”

Yongjoon was quick to interrupt, “No, no. I know who Jungkook is. He’s a sweet person. I just… Does your mom know you’re here?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

“Of course not. She thinks I’m on a field trip with my classmates.”

“And why exactly are you here again, Taehyung?” he asked.

“Uncle, I’m pretty sure you heard me the first two times,” he replied as if it was obvious, which it was.

Yongjoon took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes with his fingers.
“And why do you want me to do that?” he asked with a sigh.
Taehyung looked at his uncle with a look that said ‘are-you-serious?’

“Because you’re a heart surgeon. And you’re the best that my parents know. Also, you’re family. So I assumed it’d be a little easier to ask you than a random doctor,” he replied with a straight face.

“Uhh,” Mr. Park said with uncertainty. “How’s Jungkook doing then?” he tried to switch the topic. Taehyung’s question was a little too sudden to answer.

The doctor sensed the sudden air of depression that filled the room. “His heart is failing. And dad says there’s no suitable donor yet,” Taehyung replied, his eyes not meeting his uncle’s.

“So you want to check if yours is compatible.” Mr. Park completed and saw Taehyung nod.

Mr. Park put on his glasses again and asked a question which Taehyung was prepared for.

“What if it’s the perfect match? Will you give up your heart for him?”

Taehyung gulped. “I won’t do anything rash, uncle,” he assured. “I just need to know whether mine is compatible or not.”

The doctor smiled. “And what if I refuse the test?” Taehyung turned to the elderly man sitting before him. “I said you were the best, uncle. I never said you were the only one.”

As Mr. Park dropped his nephew to the exit after an hour or so, he asked, “I suppose you’d want to keep this meeting a secret?”

Taehyung smiled a little and replied, “Only until the results are out. Once again, thank you so much for agreeing to do the test.” Mr. Park laughed heartily, trying to hide his worry. “I didn’t have a choice, did I?’

Taehyung remembered his meeting with Uncle Park. It was awkward at first, to directly ask him to perform a test on him. But later everything became fine because he understood. And until the time they parted, there was nothing that they disagreed on.

His uncle performed the test in a matter of half an hour and said that the results would be out only after two days.

During these two days, Taehyung did everything he could to distract himself from worrying. But he wasn’t preoccupied for very long. His thoughts reverted back to Jungkook every single time and what he would do if his heart wasn’t fit for him.