Chapter 12 (Silence)

Silence.

It felt like a blanket. Suffocating me.

I couldn't breath. I couldn't think. Silence wrapped around me in a vise.

She was beautiful. She was perfect.

She had no pulse.

Her skin was too pale, her eyes closed her long lashes sweeping along her pale cheeks, she almost looked as if she was sleeping. No heartbeat. Not a sound came from her tiny body.

Wails of anguish and grief filled the air ripping from my chest leaving me bleeding. Tears blinded me but it wasn't long before Lee was holding me his body shuddering around mine his own tears splashing onto my shoulders.

I clutched to my mate screaming my pain.

I didn't want this. I didn't want to bury another child. We had been so close. So close to being a family, but our chance had been taken again.

A small prick in my left arm barely reached my thoughts before I felt myself slowly sliding into darkness. "Why did she have to be taken away." I rasped brokenly.

"I don't know Angel." My mate whispered before everything went dark my grief following me into my slumber.

*******************

I blinked slowly my body feeling weightless. Where was I?

I blinked pain chocking me as everything came back. I grabbed at my stomach and instantly felt empty. My baby.

I looked around the room and spotted Lee resting in a chair beside the bed.

As if realizing I was awake Lee jerked up his eyes wide. Once he settled on me his shoulders slumped. A greif stricken look touched his face. Without saying anything he moved onto the bed and wrapped his arms tight around me.

"It's going to be okay." He whispered rocking us slightly.

I nodded my head not knowing if it was for my sake or his.

I didn't understand. Why me? Why my baby?

I felt so sad and angry that I just wanted to scream till I could scream no longer.

"Where is she?" I asked looking around.

"I-I don't know. I think the doctor took her." Lee mumbled.

"I want to see her one last time." I stated sitting up.

Lee nodded but stopped me from getting up. "I'll go get her but you need to stay here your not well enough to move yet."

I swallowed hard and nodded.

I watched him leave silently then closed my eyes and prayed.

Lyra P.O.V

I stared down at the pale little face. She was so pretty and small. I didn't understand why the goddess hadn't let her live. Were Ambria and Lee not good enough?

I had snuck into the room after the doctor left wanting to get a look at her.

Maybe I could help in some way.

I was after all suppose to be the next queen. I had the powers and all but....I didn't know how to use them. Frustration and sorrow welled in me.

The one before me had raised her brother from the dead why shouldn't I be able to give life to this baby?

I just didn't know what to do. I sob of helplessness escaped me as I picked up the pink bundle. I had been outside the door when everything had gotten quiet. I had assumed that Ambria was done giving birth but then her screams of grief shook me to my core. Lee's had followed. I knew then.