Ch.25-Meteor Showers are as Good as Misletoe

Grace

“Are you sure it’s okay?”

“Yes, Mom,” I assured her for the hundredth time, leaning against the counter in the kitchen. “Just send me back some ginger bread cookies.”

She laughed, pressing a kiss to my head. “I will.”

“And tell Aunt Jo I said hello.”

“I’ll do that too, Gracie.”

She fussed over me a bit more before finally gathering her stuff and joining my dad in the car. They were going to celebrate Christmas with my mom’s sister, like we did every year. I wasn’t feeling too well though, so I was staying home. It only took a thousand times to assure my mother I would be okay three days by myself. It was winter break, anyway, so I didn’t have to worry about school.

I waved through the window as they drove off. The silence of the house settled over me, oppressing yet strangely comforting. I wrapped my arms around myself and sat down at the kitchen table. It was just beginning to get dark. I had been nursing the same cup of tea for the past fifteen minutes. It was the only thing my stomach wouldn’t completely reject.

I managed another uncomfortable mouthful when the home phone rang. I stood up. Probably my mother calling to make sure nothing happened in the two minutes since she saw me.

“Hello?” I greeted when I picked it up.

“Halo!”

My eyebrows furrowed. “Tiffany?”

“How are ya?”

“Sick,” I muttered. “And confused. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing!”

“Why are you so enthusiastic?”

“Because I’m coming to pick you up!”

Oh, no. I dropped back into the kitchen chair. “Do I want to know why?”

“Probably, but it’s a surprise anyway!”

“Oh, great.”

“I’ll be there in five! Wear something nice!”

“What? Why do I have to—and you’re gone,” I mumbled, ending the call as she had hung up anyway. An uneasy feeling started in my gut. This couldn’t be good.

Roughly thirty minutes later I had taken a shower and dressed in long black leggings and a floral skirt beneath a green top. I pulled on a pink sweater when I felt a chill rush over my skin. If only my mom could see me now. She would probably have a heart attack.

The doorbell rang and I whisked down the hall to answer it. Tiffany was on the other side, in pajama pants and a sweatshirt. Was I missing something? “Why don’t you look nice?” I asked her.

“Don’t worry about it!” she cried. She peeked over my shoulder. “Are your parents home?”

“No,” I replied. “And I don’t think they would want me going out, either . . . Where are you taking me?”

“Nowhere bad, I swear,” she promised, grabbing my arm and tugging me toward her truck. “Now come on because I’m freezing my ass off on this stoop.”

“Tiffany,” I warned.

We situated ourselves in the car and she sped off. “Relax, Halo. It’s Christmas Eve and you’re home alone. You deserve to be having fun!”

“I’m sick,” I deadpanned.

“Excuses, excuses.”

“Where are we even going?” I asked. We had traveled off the beaten path and weren’t in familiar territory to me.