Ch.18-The Way You Make me Feel

Grace

I had to get away. That was all I knew.

Needless to say I hadn't expected to walk into the cafeteria and then have Cole swoop in and kiss me. It was unexpected and I absolutely hated it because it was wonderful. I could still feel his hands on my cheeks, alighting sparks over my skin and sending white-hot fire coursing through me. It was a rough conjoining of lips, done transiently, on the fly. And I liked it.

I liked it.

And it left me confused and flustered and so I ran away, right out of the cafeteria. I had no idea where I was going, just that I couldn't stay there a moment longer.

I groaned aloud when I realized what else I had done. Jeez. I had slapped him. Slapped him, for goodness sakes! I had never laid a bad hand on anybody in my life! Just the thought of what I had done left my stomach churning uneasily.

I swiped furiously at my cheeks, so intent on getting away that I didn't realize where I was going until I ran headfirst into somebody.

"Whoa there," an older man's voice chuckled. "Where's the fire?"

"I'm sorry!" I apologized hurriedly, stumbling back. "I didn't see you there—I'm so sorry!"

"Calm down," the man soothed. "It's quite alright young lady . . . Are you okay?"

I swallowed hard, body shuddering as my throat unglued itself with the action. "I'm just having a weird day," I replied honestly.

"Ah."

"I'm sorry," I apologized again for lack of anything else to say. "I really didn't see you."

"You mustn't apologize so profusely, young one. There's no harm done. Would you like to talk about it?"

I stared up at the man before me for the first time, really looking at him. He was older and tall, with glasses on the tip of his nose and grey flyaway hair. He was quirky but had a smile that made you want to instantly trust him. "I don't think you would want to hear about my teenage problems," I murmured.

He laughed. "You would be surprised, dear. In fact, I've solved so many I should drop my job and become a counselor."

I smiled. "Do you mind?" I wasn't sure why I was so compelled to take him up on his offer, but I always found talking out what confused me helpful. My parents weren't here and I couldn't very well just go home. Besides, they were menial problems as it was compared to other, bigger things plaguing my life.

He beckoned me to follow him and led me into a classroom down a hall I was not familiar with. Only attending once every other day didn't give me full knowledge of the whole school, just the math and science wings. I didn't know where we were.

He flicked on the light and took a seat in a rolling chair, heaving out a large sigh. He gestured to the nearest desk across from his. "Have a seat," he offered. "Let's talk."

The door shut with a precise click behind me. I edged toward where he sat, dropping my backpack to my feet as I lowered myself down. I scooted forward the slightest bit and suddenly wasn't so sure about spilling my problems. I felt like I was at another counseling session with a post-cancer treatment therapist.

"Now, what has you in such a fit?" he questioned, folding his hands atop his desk. "Has a student here done something to harm you?"

I shook my head. "Not really," I replied quietly.

He cocked an eyebrow. "Not really?"

"No." I fiddled with my blouse. "He hasn't harmed me. But he confuses me greatly. I always used to have this set path in my mind of how I would move through life, and it's just . . . Somehow I feel like he's disrupted that."